European Dopers

Bobinelli says:

I doubt it. In the US, pubs/bars with Irish names or themes just about outnumber all the rest. My Irish relatives are invariably surprised when they visit here (Chicago). On the other hand, Irish restaurants are a lot harder to find.

Evening all

Plus another one - I’m in London, in a cheap bit to the north - amply provided with Ambrosia, fake Irish pubs and people doing research on house prices. Can we have someone French to drag off to the Pit and rend limb from limb?

Durno: YEAH ! Bring out the Frogs !!

Tatertot: just to set your mind at ease: There’s only one place in Europe I know of that has REALLY high petrol prizes. You guessed it. The Netherlands. About NLG 2.30 or EUR 1,05 per liter. Now, apply desired currencies and amount to get your dollar per Gallon quote :wink:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Coldfire, I’m really not that concerned about the Netherland’s gas prices, since your country is so small, you probably only need to fill up once, maybe twice per/year.

Frog? Okay, I’ll bite:

Espèce d’emmerdeur de troisième classe! Il va falloir plus qu’un petit péquenot de province d’un petit pays à la gomme pour m’en montrer! Tu crois que t’es à la hauteur? C’est la meilleur! Viens pas foirer à mon altitude, vieille bidoche! Si tu crois être à la hauteur c’est que ton cerveau confond l’intelligence avec le manque d’oxygène. Prends ton zoprac, essegonz!

ducking

Jest kidding. I’m French Canadian. I’m about as French as an American is English, but you said the F word (Frog, that is).

I’ve used up all the Parisien French slang I could think of. So much for insults!

Well, what I did get that if I were to get up to the spiritual heights where you are roaming, my brain would die from oxygene deprevation… :wink:

And I did learn some French Argot in highschool (my teahcer studied French at the Sorbonne): so, Momotaro, now we BOTH now there’s plenty of French words MUCH, MUCH more foul than the ones you used…

Va te faire enculer, salaud !
Fiche-moi la paix, j’en ai ras le cul !

If this were in English, I would have been dragged to the Pit by now folks… I’ll leave my good friend Momotaro to do the translationary honours for all of us :wink:

Coldfire

America invades Europe! Film at eleven.

No, seriously, I was reading the last few posts about the French and I have a question for the Eurpoeans.

Do you guys consider the French to be somewhat of a joke? I know we Americans have a sterotype which holds the French to be a bit snotty and obnoxious. I don’t think too many people here take them very seriously.

What do you expect from people who think garden pests are haute cuisine?

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Ooh, Coldfire called Momotaro a bad word! I’m tell-ing.

So, Momotaro, we’re eagerly awaiting your translation…

Bis, bis…

UncleBeer: I can’t speak for the rest of Europe, but from the UK point of view the French are such a complete pain in the arse whenever it comes to any kind of agricultural or produce issue - and they drive a coach and horses through any EEC legislation that don’t suit them. The latest in an awful long line is the beef question, and now we find that they’ve ben feeding their own animals on human waste - emmerdeurs indeed. But let’s not take this any further or we might have to go into the vexing issue of the American bananas…

Durnovarianus, I just saw something on British TV about a supermarket boycott of French products. Is this all the of supermarkets, or just a few chains? I’d watch the news again, but the damn cable is out (for only the third time this month!).

giggles

Yeah, I kept it pretty tame to tell the truth.

looking around nervously

Coldfire, you’re going to get me in trouble! I can’t translate that. I’m still wondering if any of the administrators understand French. People, use your imagination. IMHO Romance languages have a much higher potential for insults and swear words.
Rant about the French incomming:

First, they speak funny, they pronounce ‘enfant’ like it’s written ‘onfont’. They speak like textbook. Imagine a Southerner in a world where everyone speaks like they’re in a Shakespear play, that’s how Québécois feel in France.

Second, we don’t get their jokes, they don’t get ours. Our respective humorists have the hardest time broadening their audience. Québécois are better off translating their stuff in English for the Canadians and Americans.

Third, we say ‘tu’ to be friendly and end up insulting the French. They say ‘vous’ to be polite and end up sounding snob in Québec.

Actually, in Québec we think French swear words are rather tame. *Mon ostie de tabarnak de calvert. S’tu veux une volée, tu vâs voèr, j’vé t’montrer mon chris’ de poing. *

Oh, oh. I’m in doodoo now.

Only humans commit inhuman acts.

Yeah, the French are considered a bit of a pain in the rest of Europe too. But for a large part, this is due to a stereotype caused by blockading truck drivers, farmers, etc. Also, the very protective attitude of the French government towards French companies is disgusting (ABN AMRO, the bank I work for, did a VERY good bid on CIC [French bank, [partially owned by the French state] and it was denied because of ABN AMRO being Dutch).
The Dutch are the incarnation of evil to the French, and they’ll stop at nothing to blame us for every drug problem they have with the youths in their large cities. And god knows they have a few. In accusing us, they completely forget that:
a) Hard drugs are just as illegal in The Netherlands as anywhere else (it’s just marijuana that’s legal);
b) Drugs from Holland have to cross TWO borders to get to France;
c) 99% of all hard drugs imported into France comes from South America or North Africa, and NOT from Holland.

So yeah, they’re quite annoying at times. But then again, this is coming from a guy who smokes Gauloises and drives a Peugeot :wink:

Coldfire

okay…I know I will piss off someone…
God, but it must be nice when you have enough Lira’s to pay off appelate judges…
Oh well, just have to knock down that prancing horse…why do I feel like having stake tartar?

Unforgiven

tatertot: most of the large chains are banning French produce (at least for the time being)

Coldfire: how strange - we tend to admire the Dutch for finding practical solutions to things which we can’t seem to get right, like state benefits

Gypsy:

You’re either referring to Andreotti, or Ferrari. As to the latter: I’m glad they won the appeal, although I didn’t expect it. Although I’m not Italian, I’m certainly a Ferrari Fan. We’ll see what happens next sunday…

Coldfire

Coldfire, sorry I was refering to Ferrari and F1. I did not know Adreotti was in the jam too, I guess I have to check some past info.
Anyway, Mika should be be the champ, but now it depends how dirty is Schumacher’s driving. As history has shown, he can be really dirty. But then again what do you expect!

Unforgiven

Go Gilles Villeneuve!

Gypsy,

Don’t make me come down there and whoop you ass ! Foul play in order to achieve the highest is present in ANY sport, why should F1 be an exception ? Senna would NEVER have been world champion 3 times had he not knocked Prost off the track 2 years in succession.

Hakkinen is a slightly above average driver, who happens to be in the best car at the moment. Same thing happened to Damon Hill once, to Nigel Mansell, to Keke Rosberg, etc etc. It’s not a show of talent on Mika’s behalf. It’s the sheer speed of the car. And with all the mistakes HE made this season (he could have been world champion 4 races ago had he kept his car on track while leading a race, etc.), there’s no way in HELL he deserves to be champion this year. Once is good enough for a driver of his standing. If ANYONE derserves the world title because of consistency and getting the most out of his material, it would have been Heinz-Haralt Frentzen. But he’s out of contention now, so we might as well see a Ferrari win for the first time in 20 years.

Although it’s very ironic that the first one to do it for Ferrari isn’t Schumacher. His testing work made a come-back for Eddy possible, as the car was getting slower and slower during Schumi’s recovery.

Denying Michael Schumacher’s talent is similar to stating that you don’t know the first thing about F1. Like the guy or not, he’s the best current driver and certainly one of the greatest ever. If he and Mika were both in the same car, there would have been no competition whatsoever.

Coffee time.

Coldfire

Allright, enough of the lurking, My Name Is Moonshine And I Live In Amsterdam. I think that’s put us in the majority Coldfire, so any get together party will have to be here. I’m English though, so bring on some of those namby-pamby, tight-trouser wearing, garlic-eating, red-wine drinking, truffel-hunting, port-blockading Frenchies and lets party.

Amsterdam it is :slight_smile:

Moon, where do you live then ? I live in the Rivierenbuurt, near the Amstel Station. You ?

Coldfire