European Dopers

I know that it isn’t just me and Coldfire posting from Europe and I’m feeling a little left out since all the American and Canadian Dopers are finding out who lives near them.

So, come on and post and let me know that I am not alone!

“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” Albert Einstein

YEAH !!

Didn’t have the guts to start one myself, but I guess someone had to do it - three cheers for TaterTot !!

"Ein Prosit, Ein Prosit, … " etc etc

Anyway, Amsterdam, The Netherlands here. Yes, smoking pot is legal. Yes, we have whores. No, it’s not the capital of Legoland, Denmark, Belgium or Iceland :slight_smile:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Greetings from Rutland, the smallest county in England.

We don’t all wear bowler hats, but it does rain quite a lot.

The English have given the world lots of things - cricket (yes, the rules are rather tricky), Sherlock Holmes, the language of Shakespeare, computers and best of all: Monty Python / Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Didn’t have the guts to start one myself, but I guess someone had to do it - three cheers for TaterTot !!

It’s a sorry state of affairs when it takes an American to start the European Dopers thread, eh Coldfire? :wink:

Funny that tatertot neglected to say where he was from. (Yeah I know about the profile, but that kinda goes in opposition to the point of these threads)

glee, be careful with that silly computer comment. The claim is pretty foolish, and no one person should ever be credited with it. Hell The Chinese have a pretty strong claim with the abacus. (I hope my memory serves me right on the China part ;))

Oh, yeah, I live in Heidelberg, Germany but I’m actually from the States although I was born in Korea and raised mainly in Frankfurt, Germany. Thanks for pointing out my mistake Omniscient. :slight_smile:

BTW, I’m a woman.

Omniscient,
of course my post was only a cheerful response to the thread. Also you can trace inventions back to all sorts of sources (e.g. Leonardo Da Vinci didn’t have the technical backup he deserved).

Nevertheless my dictionary defines computer as ‘an electronic device for storing and processing data according to instructions given to it in a variable program’. (If you allow the abacus in on that definition, then the invention of zero probably counts too.) I’m claiming Charles Babbage first proposed the theory, Countess Ada had a go at the first language and (I think) Manchester University had the first working computer (Colussus).

But this is the Straight Dope - I stand ready to be enlightened!

I just had deja vu, and I’m sure it’s happened before…

Oh, I meant to mention Alan Turing and the Bletchley Park code crackers as well…

Dear Tatertot:
How dare you post a thread with the tile “European Dopers?”
Imagine how disappointed I was to log in here, and there is nothing about new strains of marijuana.
Talk about being disappointed!

cough

Psst, hey, Coyote,

I live in Amsterdam. Gimme your creditcard number and specified order, I’ll ship you the pot man !

looks around suspiciously

Any need for cheap women and booze too ?
TaterTot:
Well… it’s an even sadder state of affairs now I know that the thread was actually started by a Korean American who lives in Germany… o well, it really doesn’t matter now does it, just as long as enough people reply to it :wink:
Seems like I’m in the geographical centre so far, I mean, Holland, Germany and England - looks like it’s gonna be Amsterdam eh ?

And I just want to express one concern: I sure as hell hope that bj0rn is not gonna seed this thread. Hell, let’s say we just deny that Iceland is part of Europe, or keep insisting we just sold it to Canada as a timber depository or something…

I’ll be watching this thread.

Coldfire

blushes

Errrrm, hope that bj0rn doesn’t SEE this thread. SEE. Whatever that dude does with his SEED is entirely up to him, as long as it stays on that glowing rock of lava he lives on…

Coldfire

Coldfire, I think the sorriest thing is that so far it’s just me, you and Glee (hi Glee!).
And I’m not sure that I count, being an American, and all

C’mon, I know there’s more than that! Would it help if I invited ya’ll over to my place for BBQ? I make awesome Memphis-style pork shoulder!

Hello tatertot,
You certainly count - after all the thread is who’s posting from Europe.
I don’t care if it’s just you, me and Coldfire (hello Coldfire!). After all quality is more important than quantity.
I’ve played chess tournaments in Germany twice (Berlin and Bonn). The food is fine, most people speak English and transport is easy to use.
I’ve been to Holland 19 times - 17 of them to Wijk-aan-Zee (near Beverwijk). Come to think of it, the food (especially rijstaafel!) is good, most people speak English and the public transport is friendly too. (see my signature)
I used to ask at Amsterdam Station for ‘enkle reis Beverwijk’*, but the ticket clerk would always answer in English…

*I apologise for my spelling in advance

You know Glee, you are absolutely right, it is the quality counts.

I’ve had the same problem with trying to speak a foreign language and getting answered back in English, I think that’s why my German is so poor.

We are currently saving up for a trip to England - everything seems so expensive over there! We watch a lot of British tv and I can’t get over the prices!

This is off-topic, but what, exactly is Ambrosia? I love the commercials, but I have no idea what it is. In the States Ambrosia is a fruit salad with some gooey white stuff and marshmallows. Icky.

Hey, this is the EUROPEAN SDer’s - if we’re talking, nothing’s off-thread!
Ambrosia is (I’m pretty sure) a brandname here - I know of a dessert ‘Ambrosia Creamed Rice’, which is presumably what it says (I’ve never eaten it).
I think our prices are rather high compared with Europe. I find it intensely irritating that our supermarkets regularly advertise what ‘low’ prices they offer. Recently Wal-Mart bought into a supermarket chain here, and now there’s panic as these companies realise they may have to actually lower prices.
You’ve probably noticed that other threads have already discussed visiting England, but feel free to ask me tourist questions!

just crawled back onto his chair after falling off laughing

Glee, you dweeb !! “Rijsttafel” is a Chinese dish !!

LOL :slight_smile:

Well, I guess that sais it all about the Dutch cuisine eh…

Tatertot, you SURE count.

Gotta go and sleep now, more tomorrow.

Coldfire

Coldfire,
You can criticise my spelling - but don’t tangle with me on food!
Rijsttafel is both Chinese and Indonesian, and of course the Dutch brought it back from the Far East during their colonising days there.
I’ve eaten the meal in Beverwijk, Amsterdam, Delft and Dieren (and once in London, but I estimate we have over 100 cuisines there anyway).
Be proud of your seafaring ancestors!

Glee, I’ll tangle a Brit on food any day :slight_smile:

You’re right if you put it like that, if only I might pick the last nit on this one: it’s either Chinese, OR Indonesian - not both. But that’s possibly what you meant.

Anyways, what the hell where you doing in Wijk aan Zee, OAFP ?

And what do I mean with OAFP :slight_smile:

Coldfire

Coldfire,
One of the best chess tournaments in the world is held in Wijk every January. It’s sponsored by your giant steel company, Hoogovens, and about 400 players take part. I played 17 times, but since I became a teacher, the dates clash with termtime, so I can’t go any more (mournful).

What does OAFP stand for?

Tot ziens!

(please excuse my spelling, but I’ve seen very little written Dutch - and you’re all so well-educated and speak English!)

Glee,

I know that tournament. I suppose you’re a decent chess player then !
Don’t worry about the spelling mate. I’m amazed enough as it is :slight_smile:

OAFP: Of all fuckin’ places…

Gotta work now,
cheers,

Coldfire