Ever Been A Member Of A [X] Of The Month Club?

Beer of the Month Club is a good beer club. Specifically the rare beer club.

For quite a few years I was a member of the Book of the Month Club. I think that was the first of all those clubs.

That it is, Edward. That it is indeed.

When we were kids, my brother was a subscriber to the American Basic Science Club, which sent a science kit every month with stuff to do experiments in electricity, optics, weather, etc. The one I remember most was the Atomic Energy Lab, which included everything to make a cloud chamber, including a speck of radium on a pinhead. My brother went on to become an electronics engineer, and I think that club had a lot to do with it.

I’m currently a member of two (sort of)

For myself, there is Hello Makana, which we signed up for after a lovely vacation in Hawaii in an attempt to hold on to the dream for just a little longer. It’s been almost three years now and we both get excited when the monthly package of goodness arrives.

Our dogs are both members of Barkbox. I’m pretty picky about what they eat and nothing that we’ve gotten in the box has been rejected by them or me. I did have to cancel one membership recently as 2-3 bags of treats/month is more than I allow them to eat so our backlog was getting ridiculous.

I think both are well worth the money and the family enjoys the package of goodness arriving possibly more than we would if we went out and picked them up ourselves (exception - if I got to go to Hawaii to pick stuff up I would chose that option)

Our dogs say thanks! Never knew it existed.

I haven’t, but my MIL as a girl was a member of the Zane Grey Book of the Month Club. There were a lot of books. Decades later, the estate found a missing manuscript and published it, and former members were contacted to see if they wanted the book. (My MIL’s mother was still living in her hometown and got the letter and my MIL got the book.)

It’s not “X of the Month,” but the wife has subscribed me to Loot Crate and Hero Boxes. All sorts of net, geeky stuff delivered to my doorstep every month.

I’m a current member of the Craft Coffee Coffee of the Month club. I got it as an Xmas gift.

So far it’s pretty cool, in that I get 3 little 4 oz bags every month of pretty awesome coffee. I do wish it had a website that said "We sent you these 3 in January, these 3 in February, and so on.

I really liked a couple, but forgot to write down what they were, and now have no clue.

I did Sci Fi Book of the month, and Tape of the month. I was okay with them, until I wanted to quit. It took a registered letter to get them to stop sending me stuff.

A long time ago, I was a Book of the Month club member. Finally dropped it after months of not getting books I liked.

Now I have a year or more worth of reading backlogged on my Kindle, and it was all free.

So, after hearing about BarkBox for the first time yesterday, I find out two friends subscribe and love the service. One is emailing me info so she will get referrer credit. Yeah!

For Christmas we got a cheese of the quarter club. 4 kinds of cheeses delivered to our door once a quarter.

I was twice a member of the Book of the Month Club. Their come-on those days was the complete compact edition of the OED for $15. I still use it along with the magnifying glass that accompanied it. I quit after taking the minimum number of selections (4, I think) at quite reasonable prices. The second time was to get it for an Israeli friend who was spending a year sabbatical here and wanted to take it back with him. He paid the $15 plus whatever I spent on 4 books.

I was also a member of the Sci-Fi book club. After a while I wanted to quit, but they offered me a class of membership that meant I had to order a book I wanted. I stayed with them for years, bought lots of books and then I stopped getting their flyers. I assume they folded.

In general I was quite pleased with the clubs.

Back in the 70’s I belonged to the Mineral of the Month Club. I particularly remember the piece of molybdenum and the ruby they sent. They also sent a newsletter each month which, along with a few articles, contained the names and addresses of people who wanted pen pals. I corresponded with a girl in New York for several years.

I was gonna ask if you got your rocks off, but that’s probably too crude, right?:smiley:

I’ve been subscribing to Loot Crate for almost a year. It’s pretty entertaining to get a box of geeky* stuff sent to me once a month. There have been t-shirts several months, and those months make it a pretty good value over all.

*video game, super hero/comic, pop-culture related stuff. I’ve gotten a book about sharknados, a tribble, one of the wolves from GOT, odd card games, a ninja turtle, Harley Quinn and Legend of Zelda tee shirts, Transformer stuff I mostly gave to my brother and a bunch more.

I was a member of Columbia House, the Classical Music CD of the Month (or something like that), as well as the Science Fiction BotM club.

My boss once gave me a steak of the month club as a gift. I’m pretty sure he got the company to pay for it.

The whole thing was a joke in bad taste. I am a vegetarian, which he regarded as effete, and he was always pressuring me to eat meat, and publicly mocking me about it.

My neighbors and friends enjoyed the meats though. Apparently it was high quality stuff.