Ever been laid off by a company; then return to work for the same company?

I’ve never been laid off, but I’ve been on the other side of the decision. And while I can’t assure you it wasn’t YOU, I can assure you that it might not have been YOU at all. Sometimes its which project you are working on, or length of service, or the influence of someone who then leaves themselves. And since they are hiring you back, the second is more likely.

Instead of seeing yourself as the jilted lover, see yourself as the one separated by circumstances - grad school, a great job offer across the country, an ill parent that they needed to move to care for - with uncertainty about getting back together.

This isn’t my story, this is my husband’s. About eight years ago he’d been with the firm for two years - and his boss was crazy. She was also easily influenced. People who felt threatened by my husband lobbied to have him let go, and he was given 30 days notice of getting laid off. His boss worked on getting rid of him with cause, HR negotiated him getting laid off (I suspect there may have been other influencers - people who saw he had talent, and felt he needed to be retained).

About 25 days into this nightmare, they reorganized. My husband was moved to a different group and apparently everyone chose to forget all about the whole “you have five days left.” (Thus the suspicion on other influences - he ended up going to work for one of the VPs that respected his abilities).

About a month after that, his crazy ex-boss decided to “pursue consulting activities” in the down market of 2002.

Another year went by and the people who had lobbied his boss also decided to “pursue other opportuntieis.”

My husband is still there. Loves the job. They love him. He’s been subsequently very successful there. And it doesn’t seem like anyone remembers.

I was laid off and rehired by another Division three months later. The worst part was that I lost my Options, which had been my only bonus the year before. I often wonder if the whole thing didn’;t occur more to avoid paying those (the price had gone up substantially and they were six months from vesting).

I had taken a large ego hit when they told me they could do without me, so it was a relief when they called and wanted me back. The new Division turned out to be quite dysfunctional though, and I was very glad to get out of there a year later.

So yeah, Jamicat nailed it.

I was laid off during a down market, and in the next sentence offered a job with another division. I took it, and stupid me didn’t even ask for the afternoon off. It was really weird sitting at the same desk, surrounded by the same people, but having to remember to do another job.

A year later my former boss, with my new bosses blessing, asked if I was interested in my old job back. I accepted (it really was a better fit). I still get a chuckle out of the whole thing. It’s obvious that they learned that they really did need another person doing that job, just like we’d been telling them. I’m actually kind of glad I wasn’t there for that year, as they tried to do 3 peoples jobs with 2 people.

But I should have taken the afternoon off.

Me. Then again, said layoff happened when I went to grad school and tried to telecommute. They just didn’t have enough work for me to do in that mode. Years later, I moved back to town and they rehired me. That’s where I’m working now.