Ever given a new pet the old pet's name?

Every dog I had growing up was nicknamed Chennie, short for

Chien Noir
Chien Blanc
Chien Trois
Chien Quatre.

I had no imagination when I was a child.

My family once had a cat named Tabs (a tabby cat, of course) which a schoolfriend of mine asked us to adopt as they were leaving the country. Tabs became part of the family and a firm fixture, until she got old and developed kidney problems which meant she had to be put to sleep in 1982.

Just after she’d died, another young foundling cat we’d taken in had three kittens. At the birth, witnessed by a young boy neighbour my mum would take to school each day, mum, myself and the lad worked out names for the three new arrivals.

We asked the lad what we should name the middle kitten, and he suggested, firmly, “Tabs”. After a bit of hesitation, mum and I agreed, and so we had another Tabs (sometimes called Tabs II, or Young Tabs). He lived another 14 years. :slight_smile:

In the early seventies we had a short-lived parakeet named “Conrad.” My father had received him from the cast of a musical he had directed, “Bye Bye Birdie.” For those unfamilar with the show, the title character is named Conrad Birdie.

Conrad lived in a small cage in a cold, drafty half basement laundry room in northern Illinois and did not last very long. The folks decided to replace him and my older sister and I were to decide what to get. I wanted a canary with a new name. Sis wanted an identical twin of Conrad, named Conrad. I lost the coin toss.

The new and improved Conrad survived four years in that cold, drafty half basement laundry room. The cruelty escaped me then, I guess. Then we graduated to gerbils that were allowed to stay in a humanely sized cage in my heated bedroom. But none were named Conrad, oddly enough.

I’ve heard that Vincent Van Gogh was named after his deceased brother who had died very before Vince II was born. Vince II walked past his brother’s tombstone, enscribed “Vincent Van Gogh” every Sunday on his way to church while growing up. That would have weirded me out, no doubt.

Bit of topic, sorry.

In Frank Herbet’s Dune series, Paul Atreides’ father was named Leto. So when Paul had a son, he named him Leto II. Leto II was killed by the Harkonnens. Paul then had another son, and also named him Leto II.

So the Leto II that went on to become God-Emperor was actually Leto the second the second.

Back on topic.

Years ago, I got two cats. I gave them names that really only make sense as a pair. Like Castor & Pollux, Batman & Robin, Beavis & Butthead, Ren & Stimpy, that sort of thing. Let’s pretend the names were Beavis & Butthead. Anyway, Butthead died, and I got another cat of the same breed. Everyone called the new cat Butthead. Butthead II suffered the same fate as Butthead I (car), and so now I’ve got Butthead III, who everyone assumes is still Butthead I.