Ever know a Hottie to be in love with an ugly person?

Is that anything like, “I never went to bed with an ugly woman, but I sure woke up with a few?”

Oh, wait. That’s not personality. That’s inebriation. Carry on. So to speak.

The OP didn’t specify that you had to know them personally. I gave an example that everyone could recognize rather than a “there was this guy I knew” example.

I’m another one who has witnessed this first hand: when I was a teenager, one of my mom’s co-workers was a major hottie whose wife was…well…not. At first I thought them an odd couple, but as I got older they became a ray of hope. :wink:

Also, I’m sort of an example, myself: I’m no dog, but I’m short and overweight and yet have been in relationships with guys who were definitely ‘out of my league’ looks-wise. I mean, I know that I have things going for me (cool person, pretty eyes, cute smile, good in bed, yadda yadda yadda), but even people who knew me would say “wow!” in a surprised tone of voice when they saw me with those guys. The phenomenon remains unexplained to this day (though I hope it isn’t over! :smiley: ).

I’ve had a few faint-makingly gorgeous boyfriends, so there’s that.

From the OP:

Julie London, who was married to both Jack Webb and Bobby Troupe.

They probably couldn’t believe their good fortune.

I was…taken aback when I met my brother’s financee. He’s a really, really nice guy, but his looks are not his best asset. She was a head taller, ten years younger and frankly gorgeous.

I’m not sure she was really in love with him, though. I think it was more “I need to spend some time with a guy who treats me well and doesn’t let my two-year old son wander off in a crowded mall while he plays video games, like his father-did.” They got divorced after 2 years when she stopped taking the meds she hadn’t bothered to tell him she was taking in the first place.

Darren and Samantha.

Also, Jim and Cheryl.

One of my best friends is short, balding, fat, poor, not particularly good looking, and is coming up fast on forty years of age.

He routinely dates smokin’ hot nubile young college co-eds. Different one almost every month. The last one was nineteen, and could stop traffic in a bikini.

I don’t know how he does it, but if I could bottle it, I’d make a fortune.

Thanks for editing some elses post. I believe the the original quote could be interpreted as known of as well as Known personally.

He then goes on to say:

Unless bienville was expecting a lot of Dopers to personally know couples consisting of 27 year old swimsuit models and old ugly millionaires then I think I was correct to include my post. I guess you assumed that those citing Joel/Brinkley and Robrets/Lovett were close personal friends. Not sure why you picked out my post and no one elses.

:dubious:
Well, all righty then. I certainly didn’t mean to single anybody out.

So, Flippyfly, Grey, which ones do you know? Where do you know them from?

Thus endeth the list of people who quoted famous people before you.

Speaking of quoting. Since when is copying & pasting from the OP considered “editing,” when you don’t actually change a single character, but just include the one sentence from the OP that you want to emphasize? Like, say, the following:

IANAE but I would consider it editing when someone chops off a sentence and adds a period where one did not exist before.

Difference of opinion. I think the previous quote I gave about the swimsuit model made it clear that know of works just as well as long as its not a phony Anna Nicole thing. Not really that important. If bienville wishes to let us know I’m sure he will.

I know I’m going to lose sleep over the whole thing…

All I want is for you to stop fighting and try to LOVE each other- even if one of you happens to be ugly.

Ooh! Me! Me! Can I be the ugly one?

Its possible you could be the uglier one but its going to be close.