Ever Owned a 1998 Plymouth Breeze?

The short question is, do they suck?

Owing to my unfortunate habit of crashing into things, I am once again sans transportation. I have been looking at a (very) used Plymouth Breeze at a very reputable used car dealer who comes highly recommended; the car seems to be in great shape, but I am leery because it already has over 87,000 miles on it and he wants $4,200. for it. (Also, it is a 4 cylinder automatic, and I’d really prefer a standard, but that’s neither here nor there.) The dealer serviced the brakes and has had the recalls taken care of, and the Carfax report looks good, but that doesn’t change the fact that it has a whopping load of miles on it for a 4 cylinder American car. I have no idea what it’s expected lifespan is, but I assume that it probably isn’t much over 120,000 or so. Also, I’m wondering what is likely to give out first, the engine, or the transmission.

Any thoughts from someone with experience specific to the Plymouth Breeze? Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

I had exactly that - a 1998 Plymouth Breeze. I actually really liked the car for what it was. It didn’t have a lot of power, but I used it for driving around town and going and back and forth to work. I took it on a trip from Connecticut, to Georgia, and back over the course of 6 days, as well as several trips to North Carolina. I never had a single problem with it - standard maintenance and she was good to go. When I let go of it, it had 140,000 miles on it, and had never given me a day of trouble - not so much as a stall.

That’s only my experience; YMMV (pun intended, of course.)

I meant to add that it was a 4 Cyl automatic. And, I had been in an accident with it (a Breeze sandwich - front and rear collision). I remember having taken it in for some recall stuff, but for the life of me can’t remember what the issues were.

And I loved the up/down seat adjuster. That thing rocked.

Really? Sounds great. Now to find out if the damned thing is still there… :slight_smile:

We had a Breeze for a few years (can’t give any specifics, it was an automatic and either the same year or a year or two later than the one you’re looking at). Never had many problems with it, and we drove it constantly–it was Mom’s only means of transportation, and for the most part mine as well. Only real issue we had was brakes; they never worked very well, and I’ve literally driven away with the emergency brake still on in that car. Other than that it was a good car though.

So, did you ever buy the car?

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I drive a '98 Plymouth Breeze. I have had no problems with it at all, even driving it between DC and Georgia a few times. It is a general knock-around car for getting to and from work. BUT… I think $4200.00 is too high a price for it! Negotiate a better price! I bought mine over a year ago for substantially less.

$4200 is right about on point for what Kelley (kbb.com) is claiming retail should be for the car. Consumer Reports recommends to avoid all Breeze models from 98-2000, typically meaning they have a higher than average reported breakdown rate.

I own one now.

Two things…I wouldn’t pay more than 3800 for it, and see if this used one has had a head gasket replaced. My understanding is that most Breezes in that year range will blow it out eventually, and that’s not cheap to fix. If it’s already been fixed, I believe (IANAM) they’re as likely to stay fixed as a head gasket on most cars.