Ever watch a movie just because of its location

Scotland, PA.

It was mostly shot in a tiny village a few kms south of Halifax. I had to endure a few weeks of traffic tie ups as I traveled to and from work everyday.

It turned out to be a pretty good movie, IMHO.

The Descendants, with George Clooney.

I had no real interest in the movie, but for having gone on my honeymoon in Hawaii, and absolutely loving it there. Turned out, beyond the stunning scenery, the film was pretty good.

My Blue Heaven was shot in my hometown while I was in high school. I probably would have seen it eventually no matter what, but you couldn’t avoid that movie in our area for a while after it came out.

The Slender Thread is a nice look at early-60s Seattle (the city really was in black-and-white back then). By contrast, I get amused by the blunders in geography in Three Fugitives – there is one scene where they are racing down a street that is actually in Tacoma, whip around a corner, and are on a street that is in Seattle (the cities are 30+ miles apart); then, in one scene, they are 13 miles from Canada with Mt. Rainier prominent in the background (which would be over 100 miles from Canada) – so the movie is a comedy on more than one level

I was just in Schenectady a couple weeks ago. Didn’t realize anything had been filmed there (or that there were local dopers).

Three Fugitives is one for me, too. In fact, I was going to visit a friend who lived near Stadium High School and stumbled across a scene being filmed. The SWAT team (extras from Fort Lewis, I think) was on the steps by the Elks Club while the bank across the street (Old City Hall with a false vestibule and ATM) was being robbed. It was a lot of standing around and waiting.

Others shot in the area are War Games, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, and Ten Things I Hate About You.

I’d like to find the locations used for The General someday. I remember reading an article a few decades ago by some guys who went looking for the locations in Oregon where it was shot. Found them, or at least some, including where the train went into the river.

Vertigo and Bullitt for the gorgeous San Francisco locations, as well as just being good movies.

Ronin as I spent a lot of time in France and recognized most of the locations.

Slap Shot as it was filmed in my hometown of Johnstown, PA and absolutely nailed the dying-steel town ambiance of the place and time.

I saw Answer This! because it was set and filmed in Ann Arbor, notably at my alma mater.

It wasn’t good.

Parts of The Greatest Story Ever Told were shot in Glen Canyon before the damn dam.

Just about every place I’ve ever enjoyed, or one I’d like to enjoy someday. Especially several European towns, also some locations in Southern France or the U.S. Southwest. Or movies like *On the Town *that feature sites in New York City.

That Evening Sun with Hal Holbrook. Cheesy, but the setting looks like our farm back in the '70s.

IQ was filmed partially in Palmer Square in Princeton, and at a gas station in Hopewell not far from where we lived.

There is an indie called Dumbarton Bridge filmed near where we live now - fun to see sequential shots happening miles away from each other.

And some of Beautiful Mind was filmed on the Princeton campus, none really at MIT though.

Tick Tick Tick starring former running back Jim Brown. Filmed in my town. The bus scene was full of second graders in a different class (randomly selected a class from my elementary school for the bus scene. My best friend at the time was in the front row.)

The main thing that drew my interest about Chan Is Missing was its San Francisco Chinatown location. It turned out to be a pretty good movie.

There have been many where I had some interest in the location, but I can’t think of any others where the location was the main reason I saw the movie.

My wife and I watched Leap Year because it was set in Boston (where I’m from) and Dingle, Co. Kerry, Ireland (where she’s from). It was immediately obvious that they didn’t shoot anything in either Boston or Dingle. In “Boston” they mainly shot close-ups of the actors to try to hide the obvious fact that they weren’t in Boston. The “Dingle” scenes seemed to have been shot everywhere in Ireland except for Dingle.

I’ll watch just about any film set in Philly, but Twelve Monkeys stands out as one that was particularly enjoyable, esp. the finale at City Hall.

Also, probably would’ve seen Sideways anyway, but definitely enjoyed seeing so much scenery from the area where I went to school undergrad.

I watched the 1999 remake of The Haunting because the exterior scenes were filmed at Harlaxton Manor where I was staying at the time.

At the time I first watched it, that is. I wasn’t there while they were filming.

Sure. A pretty awful film called All the Marbles, which starred Peter Falk as the manager of a pair of women’s tag-team wrestlers.

Why? Because a lot of it was filmed in my hometown. Otherwise, not the sort of thing that would pique my interest!

Made in 1981, and it’s been some time since I last viewed it. But I would watch it again just to see the locations that no longer exist…especially our long-gone amusement park.

Oh yeah, Cold Turkey because some scenes were filmed in the little town my Dad is from, and my great-grandparents are extras in a brief scene.

There have been a couple of movies I watched just because they were set in Portland, Oregon. Every time I was greatly rewarded.

Mr. Brooks, because Costner murders the shit out of Dane Cook - a development so delightful I backed it up and watched it a couple of times

Body of Evidence - an absolutely hilariously bad movie, in which you can easily see the pitch meeting: “Exactly like Basic Instinct…but with Madonna!”

The Hunted. Tommy Lee Jones chases Benicio Del Toro around. Fairly average, but if you live in Portland it’s fantastic for such scenes as when they chase each other on a MAX train on the Hawthorne Bridge. (The Hawthorne Bridge has no MAX line - imagine a movie in which characters are running atop a BART train on the Golden Gate Bridge). Or when they run through 4 Courts, then jump onto the skate park (which is a mile away and across the river), or when Del Toro runs away and manages to end up a few hours later at the Cascade Rapids, which would have taken him a few days to get to.
Back when I lived in San Francisco, there were tons of movies that were enjoyable for their total butchering of geography, most famously when Dustin Hoffman drives across the Bay Bridge to go to Berkeley in The Graduate, going eastbound on the Upper Span. (I still can’t believe they shut the bridge down to film that scene - there’s no WAY that would be allowed these days).

Another favorite is Dirty Harry, when Harry stabs Scorpio in the leg on Mt. Davidson, and he manages to limp all the way to Kezar Stadium from there. That’s…kinda far