Ever written a note, released it into the World, and waited for a reply back?

You know - you write a note and stick it in a bottle and toss it out to sea. I remember putting notes in helium balloons and letting them go.

What are some other ways you’ve done it? Have you ever actually had a reply? I sure haven’t!

I once released a helium baloon with my name and address on it. It landed near the Bristol Rennaisance Faire, in Wisconsin. Whoever found it sent us some free tickets. So yes, I certainly advocate doing it.

Well…I’ve posted on this board.

C’mon World, where’s my reply? :smiley:

Where’d you find that quote, Earl?

Only about 4785 times…

I’ve done it… it’s called writing to my old friend Samantha in Alaska. I never know if I’ll get a reply, or even if my letter will get to her at all. Usually, just about the time I’ve given her up to the wilderness, I get a long and breathless reply about the last year or so of her life, coupled with a thousand apologies for not writing sooner.

Speaking of which, I’m about due for another update from her…

I haven’t done it myself, but you might find this news story of interest.

I found it in Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words That Remade America, by historian Gary Wills. The quote itself refers to Lincoln’s mockery of the pomp and swagger that some of his fellow Black Hawk War veterans displayed.
I like it in part because of the illogical humor in the idea that “the one who dresses most alike is to be fined.” It’s a little like Lake Wobegon, “…where all the children are above average.”

I’ve been known to write down short messages on a block of stone and toss it into the ocean… the next day, it’d always come back with an oh-so-witty zinger written on it! Heyo!

Kinda like throwing a baseball around the world?