Everybody makes fun of NJ for being awful. What does NJ have that's the best you can get anywhere?

Wooooosh, right? In case it’s not: umm, those are all names of WWII battles. :smack:

Rehoboth Beach, DE., also has a boardwalk.

Burned out Chevrolets?

Nah, I’m pretty sure those are old Indian names. :wink:
Actually, you look at Monmouth NJ on google maps, the satellite view is pretty creepy. What looks like a housing development doesn’t have any houses, just bunkers, and NO cars.

Physics. Princeton University had Albert Einstein back in the day, and for a couple of decades was also a leader in nuclear fusion energy research.

Piscataway :smiley:

As I observed above, Santa Cruz Boardwalk (I’ve never been there) is described as an Amusement Park – it’s not a community-based construction that runs along the sea with a variety of independent businesses along it (and generally a region devoid of any attractions at all). No New Jersey Boardwalk is owned by a single business. That’s not an academic distinction – it gets to the heart of what a Boardwalk is and its feel. For all I know, Santa Cruz Boardwalk may look very much like a New Jersey Boardwalk, or at least a portion of one, but it doesn’t appear to be the same thing.

Yeah lots of seaside towns have a boardwalk but how many have a broadwalk? :stuck_out_tongue:

The one at Rutgers in New Brunswick was there when I was a freshman back in '85.

on a hard roll, with salt, pepper and ketchup of course.

Completely absurd. I always tell NYC tourists who ask for good pizza joints to head across the river… You can find good pizza in NYC, but you also find a lot of too-burned crust or too-gloppy cheese. NJ pizza is where it’s at. Go to Vinnie’s in Wayne, or Brother Bruno’s.

This is the single thing I miss the most down south. It’s available, but it doesn’t compare. (Side note: I have good friends from Hoboken (lifers) that moved to Mississippi to open a McDonalds. Talk about your real-life My Cousin Vinny …)

Yo.

And for pizza I’ll take Mack and Manco’s in Ocean City. Served it at my wedding rehearsal dinner (along with subs and Tastykakes).

If you’re lucky, they scream your name at night in the street.

The typo aside, this looks much like a Jersey Boardwaqlk (as do some public ways in California), but ain’t the same – a Boardwalk is made of Boards and is elevated above the beach. There may be a berm of sand (nowadays with encouraged natural vegetation on it), but I’ve never seen one with a wall, as in that photo (or California examples). Again, businesses can be right on the Boardwalk, not across the street, as in many of these Boardwalk-like places (as is the case in Hampton Beach, NH, for instance).
If it ain’t got Boards (even PET plastic boards) or the occasional attached business, it just ain’t the same as a Jersey Boardwalk.

Trivia: There used to be advertisements for Jersey beachs that claimed that “Boardwalk” isn’t named that because it’s made of Boards, but because it was proposed by Alexander Boardman. It’s true that Boardman is one of the Fathers of the Boardwalk, but I suspect that the construction from Boards had more than a little to do with the name, nonetheless.

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/snt/news/index.php/egg-harbor-twp/eht-general-news/15296-historian-explains-whats-in-the-names-of-jersey-shore-locales.html

If you want good Italian pizza come to New Jersey. If you want Albanian or Costa Rican pizza stay in New York.

Medigan? :confused: Do you mean A-mer-i-can?

The greatest boardwalk in all the world is located in North Wildwood NJ and Wildwood, NJ.

New Jersey might be home to the greatest collection of barrier island resort towns accessible to, and owned by, the common man anywhere in the world.

New Jersey is home to the best domestic yacht builder in Toms River (Viking Yachts).

New Jersey is home to the premier coastal hydrology programs that have revolutionized how barrier islands are preserved, developed, replenished and protected.

New Jersey is the heart of horseshoe crab populations, their harvesting and a leader in said species preservation (horseshoe crab blood plays a critical role in ensuring pharmaceutical injectables are safe).

New Jersey has the best gas stations, since they are just about the cheapest in the country AND they pump it for you.

cheap gas to be sure, but those toll roads are everywhere!

Whether it stems from the Italian words for “dog shit” or “American” seems to be up for some debate. I see no reason why it can’t be both. Either way, it’s what I was (teasingly) called in my in-laws’ home.

In the spring and the fall Cape May has what must be one of the best birdwatching experiences anywhere (and its pretty good any other time).

I still like The Paper Mill Playhouse too.

Oh, and Bell Labs.

There are three toll roads. Unless I’m forgetting one.