Everytime - has it finally been accepted as a word?

The thread title should be Everytime - has it finally been accepted as a word?

Everywhere, Everybody, Everything, & Everyone are all correctly spelled and accepted words.

Why in the heck is Everytime wrong?

Or has modern grammar finally woken up and accepted Everytime as a word? We are in the 21st century for gosh sake. It’s a PITA to remember this one cockeyed phrase that requires two words. Every time I type it, I have to go back and put that damn space in there.

No, no it hasn’t.

I’d never heard that it wasn’t. Merriam Webster does not list it. Neither does OED.

I still don’t have a problem with it, but I wouldn’t use it around a prescriptivist. That is, any formal writing.

I always type “every time” as two words. I’ve never caught myself running the two words together.

The problem is that “everyday” and “every day” don’t have the same meaning. Neither do “every body” and “everybody”. Even “every one” and “everyone” are distinct, although the former is rare.

What do you want “everytime” to mean?

The thing is everytime sounds like a special kind of time, like Christmastime or Springtime.

This is the first time I’ve seen that word written or spoken. When I hear “every time” spoken it is not pronounced “EVV-ry-time” but rather “EVV-ry-TIME”.

Just to add to this: the two-word phrases are adverbs, the single words are adjectives. I wear everyday clothes every day. So “everytime” would mean something like… “every.”

Except it lasts longer.

If “everytime” is a word, what would it mean?

Note that “everyday” (spelled as one word) is an adjective (as in “These are my everyday shoes”), while “every day” (two words) is an adverb (as in “I wear these shoes every day”). I’ve only seen “every time” used analogously to “every day,” as an adverb.

This is my everytime clock.

Good point. I’ve been away from English class a few too many decades. I’d forgotten that difference.

This is the first time I’ve heard “everytime” together like that. I can’t imagine that it’s even close to being accepted.

For it came in the early 80s first with Hall & Oates “Everytime You Go Away,” and confirmed when Paul Young took the song to #1

My personal peeve is “anytime”. Almost every time (heh) someone uses it, it should be “any time”. Two words, people!

[Mod mod]I added the words “as a” for you.[/Mod mod]