evil teddy bears! or: help (ynh) get ideas for room painting.

hear ye, hear ye!

(ynh) needs your ideas for painting his room!

ok, so here’s the deal. this friday i’m moving. and the room i’ll be getting has teddy bears all over the walls. no need for unnessacary nightmares, so i’m going to repaint it. but ideas are lacking. but i have a few!

the list is:
a black (or another dark colored) ceiling with glow-in-the dark stuff all over it and tie died walls.
figure out some way to paint a green variety of plaid.
paint some sort of a scene on it. i.e.: jungle
paint it white and paint all sorts of other designs on it.
white, again, with lots and lots posters.

ok, at any rate, there will be a lot of posters. most of these ideas are for one wall. but there will be some sort of thing to cover the horrid bears.

Crayola makes a paint that gives makes the walls essentially blackboards. Our kids love it. Just draw something and erase it. It does create dust, though, so you may not want it if you have allergies or poor ventilation.

Or, one friend provided various colors of paint, and let the four of us paint whatever we wanted on her walls. Lotsa good designs came out of it.

Paint your walls a base color (or colour) - Tape off a “plaid” design - paint again -
Repeat as necessary.

Or just put up posters.

But how long until you can’t live with it anymore…? Although the blackboard wall would be cool. I’d probably check to see what colour that ends up as, then paint the other three walls complementary to that, and another lighter complementary colour for the ceiling. Then you can have one wall to draw on, and put posters on the rest, and still have a decent colouring. I wouldn’t go for all black, though, because as cool as that may sound, and seem, at first, it gets really oppressive, really fast. A friend of mine did this - she repainted after 7 or 8 months - ended up with dark blue walls and yellowish ceiling. Pretty, but still dark.

The jungle scene is also a neat idea, but again, i’d go with only one wall. Maybe its just me, but I’d find it really dizzying after a while. Maybe the wall at the top of your bed, and have a green room otherwise.

If you’re going to repaint, don’t go with white, unless you REALLY don’t care what colour it is. I’ve had a white room before, and it bothered me so much that there was no colour in there, despite bedspread and curtains, etc. Just go with something like a light blue or green, or even a grey (we have a greyish-green livingroom at my parents house, and its really nice). Go with something that goes well with your bedspread, if youre just going to go with “anything”. At least that way it’ll look nice for whoever else might poke their heads in :slight_smile:

Not having seen said offensive teddies, I’ll make no comment on that. :wink:

However, as to the rest: black ceiling is out. Really. Within a couple of months, if that long, you’ll feel very oppressed, and like the ceiling is coming down lower and lower… (just ask my now SIL).
Plaid would be great, but I do agree, one wall only. Otherwise, it will overpower everything else in the room soon. Green plaid would be good. I’d go with a very pale green for all of the walls, then mark off the wide and narrow vertical and horizontal stripes that make up a plaid. My suggestions for good color combo is one narrow yellow stripe each (vertical and horizontal); and up to three shades, each successively darker, of green. But, with green, it is imperative that you keep all of the shades in the same tones. Ie, greyish greens, or olive greens, or spring (yellowish) greens, or teal greens (slight bluish tones). If you try to mix say an olive green with a teal green, it will clash big time.

The jungle idea is good too, but again, only on one wall. Personally, my experience is the lighter the ceiling, the bigger the room will feel and look. Most people opt for plain white for the ceiling, but I think going with the same light color you choose for the walls is a great idea. If you want more ideas, I’m sure I can come up with some. :slight_smile:

When I was at the Home Depot a few weeks ago, one of the designers…Tommy? Ralph Lauren?.. had a plaid kit. It looked really cool on the sample but not sure it’s a do-it-yourself project.

I l-o-v-e to paint and am saddled with a wallpaper house that doesn’t need redecorated yet. :frowning:

Whatever you do, just be sure it screams (your name here)!

Home Depot does do those classes on weekends where they teach you painting techniques.

The most important thing is to prepare the surfaces befor you paint.

Oh and I agree to not go too dark. I did that for a while and it did make me feel depressed after a while.

How about purple dinosaurs?

How about purple dinosaurs eating the teddy bears?

Okay, okay… paint the ceiling light blue and go back with a sponge and white paint and create clouds. I saw that in Vegas and it looked great. Or, paint the ceiling white and apply white glow in the dark stars and planets. We did that over the futon in our cabin. Nobody notices the white-on-white ceiling stuff until they turn out the lights. It’s very cool.

I agree with everyone else about the walls. Paint one plaid and the other three a complimentary solid color, not too dark. Get a book about Scottish tartans to see examples of good (and a few not-so-good) color combinations.

ok, i’ve gotten some ideas and a few no-no’s here.

1) no black or an otherwise dark dark color (i.e. dark blue)
2) don’t use red. i’ve been told it makes you feel hot.
3) if any white shall be had, it will be the ceiling.
4) use fancy idea for one wall only (i.e. one wall plaid or one wall with a fancy scene.)
5) remaining 3 walls should complement each other.
6) stars or other glow things will be on the ceiling.

and i like the idea of a dinosaur eating a teddy bear…maybe i can make a scene around that…

uh, right, ok, the choices are a tie-dyed wall, a plaid wall, a wall with a big fancy scene, or a wall with lots of small things like the dino eating a the teddy.
(ynh)

ok, i’ve gotten some ideas and a few no-no’s here.

1) no black or an otherwise dark dark color (i.e. dark blue)
2) don’t use red. i’ve been told it makes you feel hot.
3) if any white shall be had, it will be the ceiling.
4) use fancy idea for one wall only (i.e. one wall plaid or one wall with a fancy scene.)
5) remaining 3 walls should complement each other.
6) stars or other glow things will be on the ceiling.

and i like the idea of a dinosaur eating a teddy bear…maybe i can make a scene around that…

uh, right, ok, the choices are a tie-dyed wall, a plaid wall, a wall with a big fancy scene, or a wall with lots of small things like the dino eating a the teddy.
(ynh)

You know, you could do the tie-die wall fairly easily. Take a couple of twin sheets (or whatever) - tie-die them, then mount in a wooden frame made from cheap lumber. Staple the sheets into the frame and hang on the wall like giagantic art work. Not only will this give the room depth, but you could change the color scheme anytime you wanted.