Ewan McGregor admits to drinking problem

Ewan McGregor turned to drink to cope with depression

While some people will probably scoff, “Oh, I wish I were depressed because I was a big rich movie star”, having gone through depression myself, I can definitely see how Ewan feels.

And you know, everything I’ve read about him leads to him being a stand up family man-a devoted husband and father.

It’s good to see he at least is doing something about it, before it got too out of hand.

[sub]waits for the inevitable, “I’d drink too if I had to deal with Jar-Jar” jokes[/sub]

I’m a big fan of Ewan’s and it was a shock to hear this. He always seems so well put-together, such a big family man, not someone who would have a drinking problem. It’s always saddened me to hear how much he started hating Star Wars, because he seemed SO excited about being in it before TPM.

I am glad he’s put it behind him and I hope that once he finishes Ep.3, he can really be done with it all.

I don’t think he hated it so much as just that filming it was really tough-being in the desert for much of TPM and being away from his family I heard was tough. I think it just got to him.

But he’s now starting to realize it was just a reaction, and he really DOES enjoy the movies, especially because he loves having little kids come up to him and talk about Star Wars. That’s a lot more than you can say for Alec Guiness, the original Obi-Wan.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The Ananova story says it’s based on a Daily Record story. Well the Record is Scotland’s best-selling down-market tabloid newspaper, and loves to print lurid stories about home-grown talent (e.g. it has a long-running feud with comedian Billy Connolly). The story probably has a basis in fact, but my guess is it’s not quite as dramatic as it’s painted here. (Didn’t EMcG take 2 years off when his kid was born? Sounds like a big family man indeed)

For someone used to doing smaller, more independent-type films, I can see how he’d begin to hate doing Star Wars. A huge chunk of the film would’ve been acted against green screen, which I can see as being tedious.

BTW, he might still hate doing the movies but be under a promotional contract right now.

I’m glad to see he’s doing better.

Damn that absinthe!

My mother said that,

Money wont buy you happiness, but makes misery much more tolerable.

Amen.

I’m guessing you’re referring to that old anecdote about him giving his autograph to a kid (who’d gushed about seeing Star Wars more than 50 times,) on the condition that he not watch it again. I don’t think that’s fair to Sir Alec to suggest that he lacks enthusiasm for making films because of this.
I’ve been a rabid Star Wars fan since its release when I was seven years old, and the number of times I’ve screened it has probably broken the three-digit mark. (:o) Still, I recognize that, looking at Sir Alec Guinness’ entire body of work, his performance in Star Wars can hardly be considered as anywhere near the level of quality he fairly consistently demonstrated in his craft.

I think he can be forgiven for having bitter moments faced with the spectre of being remembered as “Old Ben,” rather than for any of the roles which I imagine he has a justifiable pride in. Even his characterization of Gully Jimson in The Horse’s Mouth would be a better remembrance, although the film itself was a poor adaptation. Never mind the spectacular work he did, like Kind Hearts and Coronets, or Doctor Zhivago. The idea that Kenobi was going to be his main legacy must have been pretty galling.

(Sorry for the appalling hijack-- Alec Guinness is sort of a personal hero of mine.)

As much as I love the Star Wars films – even the last two – I can see how they would be “the epitome of tedium” for any actor.

I’m glad they’re not driving Ewan to drink any more. Like Sir Alec, he really is better than the role.

Of course, Larry Mudd. But you don’t yell at a little kid like that. That’s all.

Yell? I always imagined him using his kindly old man voice: “I’d be happy to give you my autograph, if you promise not to watch it again.” I doubt that he’dt seen any of his films 50+ times – and he had quite a bit more time to get around to it. He probably figured it was just good advice. :slight_smile: