Ex-smokers cough. Youngsters, listen up.

I quit a couple years ago and I get this very mild scratchy-throat cough once in a while. Once a month, I guess. I dunno. Anyway, I remember hearing some talk of such a thing in quit-smoking classes and elsewhere.
Is it really due to having quit, and what could be the cause. One thing I can guess at is it’s a result of lung tissue trying to heal. Another might be scar tissue, like a scab on the skin that itches. I could ask my doc, but I hope a new smoker reads and heeds this.
BTW; I quit after more than forty years, with the help of Wellbutrin, classes, and just being disgusted with the mess and hassle. It was my 4th or 5th try. It was a bitch, and sometimes still is. I’m very glad that I quit, and pretty proud of myself. It’s the hardest thing I ever did.
Quit! :slight_smile:
Lecture aside, I am looking for answers.
Peace,
mangeorge

I’m sure QtM will come and correct me if I’m wrong. What I’ve always heard is that while smoking the little hairs (cilia?) in your lungs arn’t doing there job (I belive I was always told they were ‘asleep’). But after quitting they start working again trying to rid your lungs of all the garbage that accumulated during thier hiatus. This is what causes the cough and why it doesn’t start until a couple days after you quit.

One of my high school health teachers claimed that he knew a guy who hadn’t smoked in years, but could still cough up smoke on demand. He said he was going to have the guy come in and demonstrate, but surprise surprise, the guy never had the time.

Nooo, I can’t do that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like a parlor/bar trick to me.