Excercise: tall = discriminated?

So help me out here: I’ve been lifting weights and been involved in SOME kind of excercize regimen for the past 5 years. (I’m 35.) While I had more time (before kids), I’d do a lot of spinning and bike riding, along with the weightlifting.

I went from 265 no-muscle lbs to 275 lbs in pretty good shape. I’m 6’6". I can currently bench press 205 (three rep).

Reading this thread, I hear ‘dips, pullups, run X kilometers.’

At 6’6" 275 lbs, there’s no friggen WAY I can do a pullup, much less pullup(s). Running’s right out. Splits? Heck naw.

BMI? don’t mean squat.

So, I’m kinda fed up with all you people that can benchpress your weight…you’re only moving it, what, a foot and a half. :smiley: I’ve gotta move it twice as far, so we’ve gotta be doing the same amount of work.

I’ve gotta end this with a question or it’ll fall off the list with no responses:

Am I just not working hard enough, or does it take a lot more work to lift as you get taller?

Well I’m approx 6’3" and can bench 275x5 and I’m 225 lbs, so I can speak (somewhat) to your questions. The short answer is yes WRT whether being tall puts you at a significant disadvantage in max bench press and pull ups vs more compact people. As an example the 250-350 lb, approx 6’1" to 6’6" men you see winning the “World’s Strongest Man competition” could probably be beaten by any mediocre 5’5" inch gymnast in terms of the number of pull ups they could do, even though they are very much stronger in absolute terms.

Having said this the more significant issue in these specific exercises is is how long your arms are. I have 33" inseam and a 35-36" sleeve length which many 6 foot tall men have. My extra height comes from my relatively long waist and I’m super flexible. So yes I can do pulls ups and probably have an easier time benching than a person with more orangutan like arms simply because the weight (in their case) has to be moved across a greater range, even if they were stronger (overall) than I was.

Height (arm length specifically) does have some advantages but these don’t tend to be in actvities where explosive strength across a short range is is required.

As a bit of unsolicited advice I would suggest getting down to 240-250 if possible. If you can’t bench more than 205 (even given arm length issues) you really don’t have the muscularity to properly and heathfully support carrying 275 lbs.

You’d only be moving it twice as far if we were 3’3.

Yeah, I’m sure it sucks to be tall, but the difference isn’t that great. :wink:

I agree that’d be a good thing to do, and I was rapidly heading in that direction. Well, actually, I wasn’t probably ever going to reach 250 as I kept putting on muscle mass. The OP was a little short on details, while I couldn’t do 5 pullups, I COULD calf crunch 475. It seems the majority of the potential I have is in my legs.

That said, and with a good cardiovascular system, I could NOT run. Walk? yeah. Jog? okay. Anything higher than a jog and I couldn’t keep up and it ended up just KILLING my knees.

With the kids, it’s harder to get in that third excercise session in a week. I’ve scaled back to weightlifting Tues/Thurs at 4:15am…occasionally getting in a cardio session in on the Weekend, but I’m nowhere near the shape I was in before.

Not having any fitted long sleeve shirts to reference, armpit to fingertip is about 32 inches, inseam is 38", and I’m carrying a little more midriff than I should with a 40-42" waist.

Epimethius But that’s my point. It doesn’t seem like that big a difference, but it is. Or more accurately: How much does genetic predisposition lend or restrict you from certain types of excercise?

Height has nothing to do with your ability to do pull-ups; that’s all body weight. Long-limbed and short-limbed folks both have their own disadvantages when it comes to lifting, but yeah, the distance you have to move the weight increases as you get taller. That’ll probably prevent you from becoming a world-class strongman, but not from putting up decent numbers.

Sounds like you want to exercises to meet some imaginary goals.
Pull your weight? How random is that.
Don’t you realize that simple minded rules of thumb were always thought up by simple minds?
Exercises because it makes you feel good, and it’s something you want to do with your time. You don’t need magic numbers to know if it’s good or not.
Trust yourself and don’t measure or count anything. You have nothing to prove to anyone else.

It’s high up the list of priorities for mountain climbers. Gymnasts too.

I guess fitness is how you define it. For me it’s the ability to throw my body around cross-country mountain biking, and here leg-power:weight ratio is important. Upper body strength is important too, but lots of bulk muscle would be detrimental. My benchmark is the 5-bar gate. As long as I can still leap over one from standing, I’ve got the power:weight ratio about right.

I’m fit, but rubbish at press-ups (though I can just about drop and do 20). I’m 6’3", 200 lbs, but with an armspan of about 6’5", and the Principle Of Moments isn’t working in my favour.

Thanks! that’s just about the attitude I need to develop. :wink:

Ditto. While the exact numbers aren’t important, I find that having a high power:mass ratio is a very good thing to cultivate for many reasons. The numbers just make it easier to keep track of progress.