Excerpts at start of documentaries

Something I find very annoying that seems to be increasing in recent years is how a documentary will start with several minutes of excerpts, sound bites, etc. from the body of the documentary itself. It’s like a commercial for the documentary (with spoilers). Why the hell do they do this? I’m already watching it, you don’t need to convince me to watch it. Sometimes these things go on for 3 or 4 minutes. Nova is especially bad, but pretty much every documentary I start to watch these days, I just immediately fast forward until I see a title card.

Usually sound bites that contain a surprising revelation. And when it comes to that part in the show it’s never what you thought it was. Creative editing. Pisses me right off.

I’m going to guess that it’s to entice short-attention-span viewers to watch the entire show, rather than tuning out after a few minutes when they feel like the story isn’t developing quickly enough.

There’s some youtube videos that do the same thing. When the video is only 5 or 10 minutes long, why spoil it in the first 30 seconds. And, to make it worse, I’m sure there’s plenty of stopped because I, possibly mistakenly, felt I wasn’t going to like. In those cases not only did I end up not watching it, it’s possibly I stopped it before my view could be monetized.