Experiences with Multiple Personality Disorder?

I won’t say there aren’t scammers out there, because there are. Probably many people have exaggerated their PTSD because they wanted to get on disability benefits. But the time since something has happened has no relevance to the strength of the disorder. In fact, sometimes it’s inverted: the longer it’s been, the worse the disorder becomes. PTSD is well-known for having a delayed onset, and ignoring it for years only makes the illness intensify.

Again, not saying that’s happening to your relative. But it’s possible.

Oh yeah, on topic: DID is pretty much a scam disorder. A person who’s been diagnosed with DID is indistinguishable from a very good liar. [URL=“http://www.npr.org/2011/10/20/141514464/real-sybil-admits-multiple-personalities-were-fake”]Sybil’s case demonstrated that. But hey, at least we’re not confusing it for schizophrenia anymore.

According to this link,
“Statistics regarding this disorder indicate that the incidence of DID is about 3% of patients in psychiatric hospitals and is described as occurring in females nine times more often than in males. However, this female preponderance may be due to difficulty identifying the disorder in males. Also, disagreement among mental-health professionals about how this illness appears clinically, and if DID even exists, adds to the difficulty of estimating how often it occurs.”

From my very limited experience and the cases I’ve read or heard about, one of the female personalities is always a slut. (It’s probably the same with men, but they don’t get called that.)

That doesn’t make sense based on what other people have said. A true DID wouldn’t be aware of the other personalities, right? So like if you were dating Super Slut (presumably), wouldn’t Gangsta-bitch, Baby Girl and Lindsey Neigle be like “who the fuck are you” when you showed up?

I’m not a trained medical professional, but I do know girls have a high capacity to make up shit to help them deal. Most likely she probably did have some real issues and pretending to have different personalities was her coping mechanism. ie “Sorry for being a bitch…that was my Gangsta personality.”

I wonder if cavemen had DID and if they did, what were the personalities like.

“I’m not Ugg! I’m Urr! I sharpen my stone tools like this. He sharpens his like this.”

(Yes, Ugg and Urr are different races.)

She wasn’t aware of the different people at the time. It wasn’t like she would apologize for being the bitch or moody, it was just the way she was at that time. I’ve dated girls with sorry for being a bitch attitude, but this was not her. It was years later that she became aware of the party in her head.
It was like there were three identical people with totally different personalities.
It was very ah, very ah strange? Unusual? Unique? Unique to date her.

I think one of you might have Multiple Personality Disorder.

I’m not sure what this one counts as, but my mum recently told me about it; she was at a school sports day when I was little, and was idly chatting to one of the other mothers, someone she’d not really met before, when suddenly the other woman stopped talking, then her eyes started darting around, and she ran off out of the sports field, mid sentence. A few minutes later, she walked quietly back up, and said ‘Um… did I just do something… weird?’

She went on to explain that she had some sort of disorder where she’d -very rarely- randomly flip into this almost wild creature mode, in which she didn’t talk, or act in any way rationally, and then would ‘come round’ a few minutes later with no memory of what just happened. I’m not sure if she was on disability, I think she was a full-time mother at the time, but she wasn’t allowed to drive because of it.

I never found out more about it, her kid wasn’t in my class, and never got good friends with my mother- and my mum never even told me about it until we moved away, so I didn’t spread it round the school and get the kid bullied.

I had a friend in my early twenties - we’ll call her “Jane.” Jane and I talked pretty often, and were fairly close. We had a lot of the same background, although she had a lot of memory issues about her childhood. She started seeing a counselor who had just taken a class in hypnosis, and was into these weird goggle things that apparently flashed colored lights at people.

So One day I’m at the store and I see Jane. Jane is dressed strangely, and very aggressively (black leather, spikes, that sort of thing.) not at all like herself. I go over to talk to her, and she clearly has no idea who I am, and is rather threatening. I apologize, and tell the scary person I “know her doppelganger” although privately I’m thinking this is the evil one for sure.

I have lunch with Jane next day and tell her about my encounter; she laughs.

Another week or so goes by and I see another Jane look-alike hiking on a local trail. She going rather fast, and just rushes past without recognition.

Then I don’t hear from Jane for about 3-4 weeks. Finally a mutual friend tells me she’s in the hospital. Apparently her therapist pushed her into remembering her childhood abuse and she dis-integrated, being unready to deal with so much pain all at once.

There is no question in my mind that MPD/DID is what I saw. Far from attention-getting she was actively avoidant the first time, and completely oblivious the second. Each time she was different enough that I questioned my own recognition of her. Gestures, posture, voice, mannerisms, vocabulary, everything was different. I found it quite disorienting.

The next time I saw her was over a year later at the home of a mutual friend. She recognized me, and remembered the encounter with the hiker, but not the black-leather girl. After calmly explaining what I had seen, she talked a lot about the grief of losing her protectors, and how she was coping without them.

Put me in the “believer” column.

See, this is the thing. Unless there was head trauma, it is extremely unlikely for a person to ‘‘forget’’ they were abused. The diagnosis of DID seems to be based heavily on this notion that abuse memories can be ‘‘uncovered.’’

Why do Holocaust victims remember what they suffered? People in earthquakes? People who watched their children die? People who were tortured as POWs?

That’s just the problem with trauma. * It’s something you don’t forget.

Per my dad, DID requires a perfect storm of nastiness.

1. Repeated, severe, physical+mental+sexual abuse (torture, really) that is pervasive within the family
  2. Beginning in very early childhood (definitely before age 3, probably before age 2)
  3. Perpretrated on a child who is exceptionally bright/imaginative who then
  4. Happens upon dissociation as their method of coping with an unbearable situation.

And Olives - it’s not usually a question of remembering that it happened, but of remembering exactly how bad it was.

You’ve said that you have (or had) things that triggered flashbacks for you - when you weren’t having a flashback, you still knew that you had got through the experiences, but there’s a difference between knowing it happened and remembering in excruciating detail.

This would describe my lady friend to a T.

For you. Everyone is different. Everyone handles things differently.

I have a fantastic memory. I remember more details of our collective childhood than my twin sister does. But there is one traumatic event embedded deep in our family history that everyone can remember except for me. I can’t conjure even the vaguest memory of it. I’d assume I wasn’t in the room when it happened, if I hadn’t been repeatedly told I was right there along with everyone else… I don’t think there are any other holes like this in my memory bank, but how would I know if there were?

If everyone reacted the same way to childhood trauma, there wouldn’t be so many different personality disorders.

FWIW, I think most “uncovered” memories are false. But the brain is so much of a mystery that I don’t think we can make very many blanket generalizations about it.

Sure, but that’s not usually what happens in these cases. Usually clients with no knowledge of a traumatic history are brought under hypnosis and suddenly seem to recall everything. When false memories are implanted, this is 100% the therapist’s fault.

monstro: I do believe, on some level, that it’s possible not to recall something important that happened. However, the odds that you will ever remember are next to nothing. If the brain didn’t process the memory the first time, I doubt there is any way to retrieve it.

I have in my own history no recollection of something that I should remember. But I have accepted I will never remember. Anything retrieved under hypnosis is highly suspect.

And I’m not going just by my experience. I’m going by my general understanding of the scientific consensus.

I’ve known people well who have this. No, they don’t forget / recover memories, and a lot of things they “remember” never happened the way they remember them - but that’s true of a lot of memories every person has. Memories change over time (eyewitness unreliability is infamous). What did really happen is trauma, and dissociation is a symptom of PTSD from a very young age (as Maggie says), so young the child doesn’t really have a fully developed sense of who they are.

As for do people know about it when they have it, the problem is, they do and don’t at the same time. What they have is the ability to keep themselves from thinking about the trauma by pretending it happened to someone else, so hard they believe it. Yes, in a way it’s indistinguishable from being a good liar, in the sense that that’s what good liars do too in a lot of cases, pretend really hard that the lie is true so they can convince others of it. But it’s more problematic because they really do lose their sense of themselves as a single person with a continuous identity.

As best I can tell, people with an extreme form of this don’t really have a self the way most people do (a “me” that believes it’s the real person making all the decisions etc, which is rather an illusion itself btw), and all the “identities” they have are made up in that it’s them pretending to be someone, while most of their mind concentrates on not having a PTSD episode about the stuff they aren’t remembering. It isn’t exactly multiple personalities, which is why the name got changed to dissociative identity disorder.

It’s not that hard to believe. People present themselves as an individual in partial ways all the time (as I know from experience and from reading about, for example in Goffman’s Presentation of Self in Everyday Life to name one well regarded source) and those aspects of yourself have real being in their way of making you act. Also consider how actors portray characters and often those characters seem to take on a life of their own, or characters in books do too apart from the author creating them. So it’s not that far fetched to happen.

Denial seems to be along the lines of denial that animals have feelings. It’s just in the mind so difficult to get hard evidence so some people simply prefer to remain skeptical. But the circumstantial evidence is pretty strong. And it’s not like I have a personal stake in it being true or not. I’m not writing a book about it or treating patients. Just interacting with people as best I can.

And whether or not memories can be recovered, they can definitely be created. I also know someone who remembers abuse that never actually happened. She’s kind of sensitive about it, but I’m pretty sure even she knows it couldn’t have happened. It’s still upsetting to remember it, though.

As for recovered memories: I have one of these. My father died in a way that I found kind of traumatic. I remembered that he died, but I “suppressed” the memory of how he died to the point where I simply didn’t remember it in that I didn’t think about it for 8 years or so. Then someone else died in a similar way nearby and the memory just came flooding back and I felt like I was reliving it and had “recovered” it. And I verified it in that my sister had remembered it all along and my “recovered” version was just like the real thing.

This.

Just a few weeks ago, I had a very disturbing conversation with my sister. There was a terribly traumatic event that happened in my family when I was 11. I witnessed this event, but my sister did not. So we’re talking along and I made reference to That Day. She asked me wtf I was talking about and I realized I had never told her about what I’d witnessed. 30 years later, we finally had the conversation.

Parts of That Day remain clearly burned into my memory in explicit detail. But, as I was telling the story to my sister, I began to realize that my memory of those events has gotten a bit spotty – like Swiss Cheese. I realized that I can’t remember what happened later on That Day, or even much for the rest of the summer. The trauma pretty much shut me down.

It wasn’t until we had this conversation a few weeks ago that we were finally both able to fill in a lot of blanks for each other.

So I agree – some trauma you just don’t forget, no matter how much you’d like to – but what you remember can be pretty iffy. Nobody would have to hypnotize me to get a recount of That Day’s events. But obviously I needed some help filling in some of the details. I would imagine that my brain has muffled a lot of the details I do remember so it doesn’t seem as horrifying to me when I look back on it.

And no, I’m not talking about extended, methodical abuse or any sort of MPD/DID situation. Just your average, basic, run-of-the-mill trauma that could happen in any trashy dysfunctional family.

Dogzilla, no offense, but there’s a huge difference between not remembering some details and repressing the whole thing and it creating a whole separate identity inside of you who can take control of your body so that you don’t know what it’s doing.

Multiple personality disorder is a crock. It’s fantastic nonsense thought up by therapists and patients who care more about creating drama than dealing with reality. The same drives and that give the world people running around who think they are part elf, or a werewolf, or abducted by aliens, or whatever are what gives us people who think they different people inside their heads and it’s not their fault what they do. The same narcissism, pride and huxsterism that gives us individuals who run around saying they are the voice of God, shamans, psychic or whatever gives us therapists who think they can uncover “real” memories, accuse parents and teachers of wrongdoing based upon no evidence whatsover, and then fix some imaginary problem that no one else can fix (except not too soon, because then it would be over, and they want it to last as long as possible).

A huge portion of the recovered memories movement consists of people who believe there is a worldwide Satanic conspiracy out there abusing and sacrificing children to the devil. These people jumped on the multiple personality bandwagon out of convenience. When evidence didn’t exist for their deeply held beliefs that Satanists were killing people, that must have been covered up, but when they wanted gullible people to try to support their side they started come up with storylines for them to tell others. When people pointed out they never mentioned these supposed events for years or never remembered them they could say it was a repressed memory. When people changed their minds they could either go with that they were possessed and the devil wouldn’t let them help the side of God any more or, when that no longer plays well, that the person had another personality in there. The “victims” then got a convenient excuse for any previous behavior they wanted to distance themselves from.

It’s the same witchcraft accusations and demonic possession hysteria but with a pseudoscientific psychobabble gloss added on top.

Thank you for this link. I did not know this.