Explain fire watch to me

Snipes’ Castle. Yup. Probably in the same part of the building too, since I was not in the MM section; the only available room was among the EM’s when I got there.

Snipes Castle, I had actually forgotten the name. There was a Candy & Pretzel shop, a large arcade and a large Laundry room that joined the 4 wings together.
Did you game at all? I was probably the best known D&D Ref and Star Fleet Battles player in the building at that point.* I was also in charge of making the watch list for the August and part of December.

Jim

• Reveling in my Geekdom, Jeez I thought I was past that point in my life :wink:

I wonder if it had to do with pre 19th century, when someone had to litterlally watch the camp fire, to make sure it did not extinguish.

Declan

It has more to do with the coal furnaces used to heat those uninsulated WWI and WWII mobilization barracks. Once the furnace went out on a January midnight there was plenty of trouble and the NCO were the least of the defaulter’s concern. It was the fire guard’s duty to feed the furnace and make sure the barracks were heated.

Yes, you wake the next man (or woman, of course) up. If you’re smart, and a good buddy, you bring her/him a coffee a little bit before her/his watch.

It’s dereliction of duty. You’d be punished, probably with a lot of extra duties.

It’s kind of hard to fall asleep if you’re walking around and doing stuff though.

In Boot camp we had a fire watch go lay down in the showers and fall asleep. He was already a fuck-up and they Asmoed his ass out of the company.

Sorry for the colorful language, just trying to recreate the time.
I know Asmoed stood for being sent back a week, but what was it really short for? I cannot remember anymore.

Jim

You’ll get a kick out of this: When I was googling about trying to find out what ASMO stood for (still don’t know. Administrative somethingorother), I ran into a page written by a girl who went through boot camp at Great Lakes.

Here you go: Great Lakes from a Girl’s Point of View

Things have changed since '85…