Explain the naming convention of US fighter planes

No need to apologize. Air supremacy demands air superiority. If we happen to be developing new technologies a little ahead of schedule, I see this as a perfectly acceptable thing. We need to evolve (even at the cost of a few bucks) eventually. Better now than behind the power curve.

Tripler
“'Tis better to have a Colt .45 Auto in yer holster in midst of a 1776 musket fight.” – me.

I believe this is incorrect and probably due to some confusion with the Mustang prototype designed for the British being designated NA73 which has probably been transposed into A-37. I’ve heard a lot of people call it the A-37 but have not been able to find a reference that supports it. The only A-37 I can find is the Cessna jet and I have never heard a Mustang variant called “Intruder.”

I got a good look at the A-36 Apache in the Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum. It can be distinguished from the nearly identical P-51A Mustang by the slotted dive brakes that extend from the upper and lower wing surfaces. Both planes have an Allison engine which can be identified by the top mounted carburetor scoop, flared exhaust stacks and a three bladed prop. The Merlin engine in B and later models has a bottom scoop, unflared stacks and a four bladed propellor.

My apologies. A-36 is correct, and I’m not sure why I thought it was called Intruder. Serves me right for working from memory.

Re: “The Intruder” your link for the A-36 Apache has the plane nicknamed “Intruder” But yeah, it was never called the A-37. That would be the attack jet based on the T-37C jet trainer.

I guess I should look closer at my own cites.

…actually the air force website says Invader, not Intruder.

Uhm… looks both ways

Hey! Is that a demonic duck of some sort!

hides

Yeah, just imagine the blazing speed of the C-130 I fly in, with its matte gray finish and a whole boatload of mission equipment on the wings dragging its top speed down to where it might go faster if I got out and pushed.

Bright, shiny, fast. Uh huh. :slight_smile:

On the bright side with all that drag you could probably point the nose straight down, push the throttles to military and never reach V[sub]NE[/sub].

Faster than walking, right? :slight_smile: