Explain to a Yank how to prepare a "Full English Breakfast"

You’re quite right. Bear in mind that unless you have access to locally-grown farm or garden produce, a “fresh” tomato is probably a variety bred for impact resistance and picked while still green, whereas tinned tomatoes are more likely to have been bred for flavor.
Regarding sausages: speaking as an American, my experience at English Bed & Breakfasts is that sausages are both larger than I would expect at breakfast in the United States, and less flavorful, with a lower percentage of meat. Another note commented that English sausages rely more on herbs than on spices, and I suspect that’s accurate. A very lightly spiced and finely ground bratwurst might come close.

Here is a recipe for a miniature “full English breakfast” that can be cooked in a covered pan over a campfire. Usually I serve it on toast. It is best not to mention what you are making just tell folks that you have breakfast covered for the morning. The looks of ravenous glee are well worth the small effort.

Most of the tinned tomatoes we get in the UK are from the south of Italy and are a special variety called “plum tomatoes”. They are certainly much sweeter and tastier than much of the fresh sort available in most shops.

Well, Ultraviolet pretty much covered it… HP sauce is much like A1, only better in my book. Some some reason. every grocery store I’ve ever been in in the US carries it in the steak sauce aisle… even the craptacular Winn Dixie in Belmont, NC - which surprises me, since THAT store probably puts bottled spagheiit sauce in the “international foods” section… :mad:

HP also makes a killer curry sauce… you use it like ketchup, only it’s… well, curry!

:smack: Yes, I know how to spell “spaghetti”.

:salivate:

(anticipating the creation of a salivate smiley)

My brother ordered the Full Irish Breakfast on his last visit and was terribly disappointed that it did not include a bowl of Lucky Charms. He was also quick to grumble about the state of the ruins noting that “back in the US when things start to deteriorate, we fix them back up!” :wink:

I rarely eat a full breakfast - it’s too much hassle for a singleton.

Some notes:

Whoever suggested that you use vegetable oil should be shot: you use lard or fat saved from other cooking.

The tomato is sliced laterally, not vertically. It is entirely acceptable to not eat the skin…

A good trick is to crack the egg into a large cookie-cutter ring (different shapes are good for getting kiddies to enjoy it).

The fried bread is there to soak up the fat; you don’t need to add more.

Toast is served warm, not cold: it’s not served straight from the toaster so some of the water has time to evapourate and is a comfortable temerature to handle.

The Kosher/Halal variation - beef sausages and beef bacon - is drier but really rather good.

In between the juiciness of the mushrooms, the tea, and the runny egg yolk, there should be no need for sauces…

Lashings of strong tea! None of your ‘herbal infusion’ rubbish or even Lapsang Souchong, but a good strong tea.

Add potatoes or chips and you’ve got a good lunch.

Alternatively, something I do all too rarely is to take some big beefsteak mushrooms, remove the centre stalk, crush garlic over them, and cook. While the mushrooms are cooking, fry or poach one large egg per mushroom. Serve the egg on top of the mushroom on a warm or hot plate.

Yummm

Technically, Full Irish has shad roe and both black and white puddings. No less than James Joye pointefd this out in one of his essays. And potato scones or cakes are essential, but that means declaring whit part o’Irlan ye frae, and I don’t hold with that Ulster rubbish, b’cause everone knaw that the’ Ulster Scots were the ones whit stirred up the Troubles, don’t kcnknaw.

False God, what on earth is going on with your coding? How do you get question marks to replace apostrophes in the “copy” function. There is something very strange, even inarticulate, in your post. Are you alright?

I don’t know the first damn thing about English breakfasts, but this was also the breakfast theory of my German-Russian grandma who grew up on a farm. Take the grease leftover from the night before’s cooking, and fry potatoes, sausage, bacon, ham, eggs, tomatoes, rhubarb, onion, and peppers. The toast wasn’t fried however, It was more of an eating implement than a part of the meal.

Then take the grease created from that to cook dinner. I always figured there were a few molecules in her grease pot that were older than me.

Fried Rhubarb ? :confused:

[<snip>

Baked beans, mushrooms, sautee potatoes, kidneys, kippers, kedgeree are optional items for me.
[/QUOTE]

Someone please tell me – what IS kedgeree???

Kedgeree :- http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/tools/recipefinder/display_recipe/0,,4170,00.html

The best black puddings come from Burnley.

In the immortal words of Ripping Yarns " It was so black even the white bits were black"

God, I’m an idiot, Bury is famous for its black puddings, not Burnley.

Bury is also “562”

/puts pint glass down.

Looks all right to me, but maybe someone fixed it. I even previewed and everything. And my post was a (probably failed) attempt to approximate a Dublin accent based on what I remember it sounding like when I lived there. Plus, I had had some wine that night and my typing hand still isn’t healed fully. Thanks for your concern, I’m fine.

This is great! I have been wanting to cook up a Proper Breakfast for my wife, but had not thought to ask Dopers how to do it. This thread will be so helpful. I’ve heard that there is a local store that sells British bangers. I need to do some scouting. I hope they have HP sauce too.

One question. White pudding has been mentioned a few times, and I’ve liked it when staying at B&Bs. What is it? Black pudding I know, but what are the main ingredients in white pudding?

And Rayne Man, I loved the Ripping Yarns quote. I haven’t seen it for ages. They won’t show it on the telly here. Instead they’ll put on Are You Being Served for the hundredth time. :mad:

Well anyway, this weekend will be a good time to try out the wonderful advice that has been proffered.