exploding pyrex?

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter as soon as I pull the shard of Pyrex glass out of my little girl’s eye.

Pointing how how lame a riposte this is (which is not in itself a surprise at all) would hijack the thread, so I won’t comment further.

You might want to tell these people that:

Pyrex (with a capital P) was the good stuff, containing borosilicate. pyrex (small p) is the brand in the stores now.

StG

Protecting the citizens is the only role of government.

I made a taco casserole for dinner last night. As I was putting my remaining glass baking dish (this one made by Anchor Hocking) into the oven my wife said “I have the pizza delivery number handy…”

It turned out OK.

Product safety certainly IS a proper role of the government.

Except to those who prefer market forces to respond alone to product that sickens, kills or maims. Exploding pirex? Piffle. The “market will take care of it” crowd could care less if you new tires explode on the freeway.

Contact the company – I always do this when something breaks or fails, and about 90% of the time they send me a replacement (even an improved one – once I had a plastic orange squeezer; it failed on the first use, and the company sent me a metal one that has never failed!).

For some reason many or most customers don’t do this, even though it almost always works.

Why would you want a second pan that’s already proven prone to unexpectedly shattering dangerously hot glass about your kitchen?

Apparently it’s not designed to be heated with an acetylene torch, either. :smack:

Er, um, ah, so I hear.

Free stuff, man!

Maybe the first had a manufacturing defect or the replacement is better made.
Personally, I would go with a refund.

The CPSC only came into existence in 1972. Billions of people managed to get by without it before then. Do try again.

FDA.

FTC

Obviously, consumers were not doing so well otherwise why pass the Consumer Product Safety Act?
And it’s 209.9 million as the Act is American law.

I used to cook Trader Joe’s frozen French Onion Soup in a two-cup Pyrex measuring cup. The pucks of soup fit perfectly, and Pyrex is oven-safe. One day, the cup exploded in the oven. Ticked me off, as I really wanted the soup that day. I bought some Chinese ceramic soup bowls with handles on them, and I cook my TJ’S FOS in those now.

Yes, and?

The government that governs best is the government that governs least.

Start a thread. GD would be a good place for that.

When did you become a moderator?

This is actually the worst “feature” of IMHO. People seem to think they can post whatever silly idea pops into their heads, without backup, citation, or even a basis in reality.

Because it’s their opinion, so everything’s ok. NO.

Quoted for irony.

nm