Exposure to small amounts of CO spurring higher RBC count?

Could an 8 hour exposure to miniscule amounts of CO two times a week somehow spur on an adaptation that could cause ones body to build a better overall V02 max or a higher RBC count? Could this exposure make your body more adaptive, thus yielding a better cardio-performing individual?

By “miniscule amounts”, I mean exhaust from a mower/weedwacker or working around a running vehicle in the absence of proper surrounding ventilation. I guess we could create two different scenarios: 1) no symptoms 2) very mild headache and nausea/flu-like symptoms

from http://www.healthwise.org/kbase/topic/medtest/hw4260/results.htm

That’s all I could find. I would imagine that as a first response, the body would attempt to make more cells, but this is an enery requireing process, which needs 02 to make the energy available. CO exposure lowers 02 levels, which leads to less cells made, etc. CO binds VERY strongly to hemoglobin. Ironically, the breakdown of hemoglobin in the body produces CO.

since it is WAY too easy to kill yourself with CO exposure, I don’t imagine anyone has ever considered it to create a better-performing athlete. The “miniscule amounts” you suggest are often enough to cause severe poisoning, especially the runnig vehicle with poor ventilation scenario. Such little exposure as to lead to no symptoms would not dramatically increase your hemoglobin count and oxygen intake.

Educated WAG, there, btw.

So, in this case, putting your body through some mild hardship will not result in a productive adaptation, as in many other cases of hardship=adaptation=better human being (ie. some sun exposure making your skin adapt to form a more efficient protective layer)?

I am guessing this would be a long term adaptation… something that would occur over the course of a couple months of this exposure. During exposure, obviously it would be detrimental. But as the body awaits the next exposure, will it be preparing???