Extradition Treaty Between United States and Spain?

Does anyone know whether there is an extradition treaty between the United States and Spain? The US Code on extradition is Title 18 USC 3181[ital]ff[/ital], but I can’t seem to find a list of treaties.
I’d appreciate any help in finding a reference to extradition treaties

Ok, let’s make the question more interesting. Let’s say a woman steals a large sum of money and a smaller amount. She then makes the sensible decision to move to Spain. Unfortunately for her, everyone she ever met wants to sue her. In addition, she gets nabbed for stealing the smaller amount of money. Now she’s gone back to Spain. So, there are really two questions:

1. Is she ever returning to the States?
  2. If she doesn’t, is she safe from extradition if she stays in Spain?

A Joint Declaration by the United States of America and Spain makes the following reference:

Apparently there is a 1970 U.S.-Spain Extradition Treaty, but I’m not coming up with much info on it.

The United States does have an extradition treaty with Spain, the Spain Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters, which was ratified in 1993. There are a lot of other countries that do not have extradition treaties with the U.S., but that won’t necessarily do a criminal much good. In general you need a visa to enter most foreign countries, and they are usually good for only 6 months. If you overstay your welcome, you can be deported. If no other country will take you, you will have to go home.

My quick research shows that she doesn’t need a visa to go to spain. There are maximum stays but that just needs a trip in and out of the country. Of course, she is going to need her passport renewed eventually. This could be difficult for a fugitive though it could slip by for a minor charge. She will, of course, also have to have filed her tax returns before they consider renewing. She needs to marry a Spaniard to get long term comfort there.

They may not go through the trouble of initiating extradition proceedings for a minor charge. Often they won’t bother to bring someone from the next state let alone europe.

Lawsuits are problematic. While one could serve her extrajurisdictionally a lack of attornment to the jurisdiction issuing the writ means Spain wouldn’t enforce the judgement. They could always sue her in Spain if its worth it to them.

Everything you want to know about judicial interactions between the U.S. and Spain, courtesy of the U.S. Department of State: http://travel.state.gov/spain_ja.html

Thank you. This is very helpful. I was looking in the Dept. of Justice pages, I didn’t think to look in the State Department.