Extricating us from the Imbroglio: Repairing the Damage

I can’t help wondering how many of the children disappeared into the system wound up sold – to people desperate for adoptable babies/toddlers, or to other people more interested in, shall we say, exploitable bodies.

I’d be more worried about children who didn’t make it into the system, who disappeared somewhere en route. That’s where the traffickers can act and not get caught.

Good point. We’ll likely never know.

Maybe this thread is the heir of the Clusterfucks threads?

Arbiters of good taste often disagree. That is certainly true of architecture.

Late Wednesday, President Biden revoked a controversial executive order former President Trump signed in December called “Promoting Beautiful Federal Civic Architecture.” The announcement from The White House was included in an executive order that revoked a number of Trump’s actions as president.

When Trump first proposed the executive order, it was clearly an out-with-the-new, in-with-the-old approach to architecture. He called modern federal buildings constructed over the last five decades (think boxy, concrete-heavy Brutalism) “undistinguished,” “uninspiring” and “just plain ugly.”

While the specifics are not yet clear, Biden’s executive order instructs the director of the Office of Management and Budget and any related departments and agencies to “promptly consider taking steps to rescind any orders, rules, regulations, guidelines, or policies, or portions thereof” that would’ve implemented Trump’s actions.

My bold.

Trump calling something “undistinguished,” “uninspiring” and “just plain ugly”???
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As they say, write what you know.

Trump is the King of Projection

Once in a very long time Trump and I agree about something.

I will however note the difference that even if I were in a position to do so I wouldn’t try to impose my personal architectural tastes on the entire nation.

Perhaps, in part. I intended this thread to focus specifically on actions by Biden, and his entire administration, and Congress, and anyone else to undo or repair the damage of the Trump years.

For other more forward-looking Biden action, or other non-Trump-related stuff in general, we have the “First 1500 Days” thread.

OTOH, it seems Trump will remain in the news because of his on-going political noise-making (e.g., hijacking CPAC), and also because of all the legal activities surrounding him (e.g., those tax returns!) – We need another separate thread (most likely in the Pit) just for on-going Trump outrages and schadenfreude.

Okay. I’ll start one.

yay!!

:slightly_smiling_face:

Here 'tis.

And here it is!

Not even ETA: Oops. Ninja’d even as I was typing the above line!

outrages and schadenfreude

The PR agency from hell.

There’s nothing in Biden’s order that prevents federal buildings from using classical architecture over modern. He just removed the requirements and any element of the agencies forcing it. They can and probably should still consider the advice of the National Civic Art Society. However, they probably do need to be replaced by a more diverse membership.

So effectively, Biden has just removed a government regulation that forced a stupid standard. I’m sure the usual suspects will applaud him for removing stupid regulations. (ha ha ha)