Faberge Egg found by scrap dealer

First someone digs up millions in gold coins. Now a scrap dealer discovers that the scrap gold he bought for $14,000 is one of the 8 missing Faberge eggs. Worth millions.

Link.

I just keep being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Why couldn’t I have been born rich instead of so damn good looking. Or at least lucky.

Oh my. That is absolutely unbelievable. I take it, then, that the watch is the “surprise”? So many of the Faberge eggs do not retain their surprise. I think Queen Elizabeth owns a couple eggs that don’t have their surprise anymore. Stunning to find one intact. Wow.

This site has some better pictures of the egg. Beautiful workmanship.

http://www.wartski.com/The%20Third%20Imperial%20Easter%20Egg%20at%20Wartski.htm

“Bandwidth Limit Exceeded”.

Gee, I wonder why. :slight_smile:

It’s likely that the Russian government will be wanting that back…

They can trade a Superbowl ring for it.

Stranger

Ohh. nice pics.

Thanks for adding that.

Great idea for a Sanford and Son episode

They uncovered a hundred year old picture of this egg back in 2011 and experts tried to decide which of the missing eggs it might be. The prevailing theory was that it must be the missing Necessaire Egg.

Looks like that was incorrect. But I bet those experts couldn’t be more thrilled to be wrong.

I’m not an expert, but there’s something “off” about this story. Beautifully made gold pieces don’t just randomly appear selling for $14,000 at Midwestern antique fairs. There’s nothing wrong, no damage to the item … but he wanted to sell it for scrap? :dubious:

Yeah, it all reads kind of weird to me, too.

chuckle

It wasn’t theirs!:smiley: So good luck!

There’s still the legendary Cherub & Chariot Faberge egg supposedly last sighted in the US, to keep that dream alive.

Here’s a picture of what they think it MIGHT look like:

http://mieks.com/eng/1888_Cherub_with_chariot_egg.htm

Maybe that scrapper needs to start checking antique malls again. :slight_smile:

Dunno. Just by it’s looks I can dig its intrinsic value to be roundabout 14k. But if I were the owner, I’d do some researching before selling it. A famous name attached to it will make 14k look like small change.

It sounds as though one has to actually pull the watch up into position (IF you’re aware of the hinge, which seems to be hidden) in order to see the back of the watch, to find the Vasheron Constantine name. And that name might actually be pretty distracting in itself, rather than helpful. A layperson might presume the whole item was made by Vasheron. Not too big a leap to imagine a company that makes wristwatches and pocket watches to this day might have ventured into making a decorative little clock made to look like a Faberge egg. It might be assumed to be vermeil (gold layered on sterling silver) which is way more common and less valuable.

I haven’t seen any shots that include the Faberge hallmark but I’m assuming it’s small and/or obscure because I’ve seen a fair few pictures of this egg now. Not many of the eggs retain their original cream colored silk velvet carrying cases (which are gorgeous little artworks by themselves) but if I remember correctly they include catalog numbers and identification inside a panel. This one doesn’t have its case, apparently, which would have made its identity clear.

That big honking diamond in the front would have given anyone pause, however.

Hard to imagine anyone seriously considering melting it.

Without adequate provenance, they can claim (probably correctly) that the egg was looted during WWII or WWII and thus is war booty. The scrap dealer should have kept his mouth and simply sold it at a private auction.

Russia sold off most of the Faberge eggs in a “treasures for tractors” auction in the 20s. They were sold legally, to dealers and auction houses. Basically, there were so many haphazardly labeled treasures and the inventory was such a mess, that many sets were broken up, large lots of items that sorta kinda matched were sent out. Lots of items were missing, especially the little surprises from the eggs, which were almost like toys, some of them.

This one had been previously traced to the 1960s, where it was sold in South Carolina, if I remember correctly. It may have lost recognition as one of THE Faberge Eggs for a hundred years, but I don’t believe that its ownership is questionable. They’ve been working on the provenance since January, they must be satisfied with it.

Expensive materials, admittedly fine craftsmanship, but completely tacky!

“Dear, be a sweetie and put it over there by that leg lamp, please?”

He did, its already sold. And now on exhibit.

I’m not sure that the Russians have much of a leg to stand on with regards to these - they were personal property of the Imperial Family - confiscated by the Soviet State - not the property of the Russian state. That Imperial Family - those that didn’t escape - were shot in a basement.