Faggots: Can you use calves liver?

Turkey liver is an ok substitute. Mild, like chicken liver, but much bigger.

Yesterday I cooked 25 turkey livers for my dogs. Boil water, drop in livers, simmer 30 minutes. Cool, then bag up in multiple small zip-locks. Freeze whatever won’t be used soon.

Pork liver is a common ingredient in Cajun boudin, isn’t it? Do you have any Cajun meat markets in your area?

Oh man, this slew me. Me too!

I"m not sure I’ve ever seen a Cajun meat market outside Louisiana! Is this a common thing?

We have a few in Houston. :slight_smile:

You’ll find them at Mexican butchers.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Anything that’s made of minced-up bits and pieces can be made of whatever’s to hand. Like so many traditional local dishes, it’s basically poverty food rather than haute cuisine.

But don’t forget to complete the meal with spotted dick:

And custard.

Envious!

I don’t see why not, adjusting for quantity. Mammal livers are all pretty similar.

I made up a bunch of vension liver boudin balls recently, turned out really well.

I’ve never found getting the pig’s livers a problem (I get mine from a German butcher) but sometimes have trouble getting the crépine (not because they’re rare, but because there’s a high demand for them for a local variant called skilpadjies that uses lamb’s liver) .

IMO, it’s not a faggot if it’s not crépine .

Had to Google some, but crépine = caul fat and skilpadjies = small pofadder variant and it all makes delicious sense.

As a British child in the eighties I was always somewhat bemused by TV adverts for ‘Brain’s Faggots’ - but that was more for the choice of using the (presumably family) name ‘Brain’ to advertise an offal product. The offensive American sense of ‘faggot’ wasn’t even on my radar back then.