"Fake" Best Of albums

The debut album by German punk/new wave legends Extrabreit was called “Ihre größten Erfolge”, which means “Their Greatest Successes”. It’s still the most beloved album of their catalog, but of course it was named ironically because they were nobodies when they released that album. Then there’s the infamous “Best Of The Beatles” album, by which Pete Best, the drummer who got the boot in 1962 for Ringo, wanted to cash in on the success of his former band mates.

What are other examples of that trope?

Rock band Alien Ant Farm’s first two albums both had tongue-in-cheek titles in this vein:

• Their first album was titled “Greatest Hits”
  • Their second album was titled “ANThology” (the term “anthology” is often used on actual greatest-hits albums)

The Rutles compiled the best of four earlier albums that didn’t exist. It was all a parody of the Beatles.

English Punk Band The Cockney Rejects first two albums were Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and Greatest Hits Vol 2. Neither were greatest hits compilations.

TCMF-2L

“Phil Ochs’ Greatest Hits” wasn’t a compilation, it was just another LB by the folksinger.

On the cover of The Residents’ first album it says:

The First Album by North Louisiana’s Phenomenal Pop Combo

“Phenomenal Pop” is… not quite accurate. :slightly_smiling_face:

Someone gave me this album (which has absolutely nothing to do with great jazz funk songs):

Your mileage may vary but Shades of Deep Purple, the debut album by Deep Purple, could have served as the title of a Greatest Hits compilation in my opinion.

TCMF-2L

Circle Jerks’ third album was titled Golden Shower of Hits. It was not a compilation album. The title track was a punky spoof of the Stars-on-45 style medleys that were popular at the time.

Well, if an album is called “A Golden Shower Of Hits”, I think only naive folks took it for a serious Greatest Hits album…

ETA: especially if the band is called Circle Jerks.

Ah, if I only knew how to fake a link to No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith…

Oh, I thought of another one, Ween’s “12 Golden Country Greats”, which are not 12 covers of country classics as you might suppose , but 10(!) original spoofs of Country music, excellently delivered.

Sort of in the same vein:

NRBQ released an album titled NRBQ At Yankee Stadium. And indeed, if you look closely, that’s them seated in the front row.

Not sure whether or not this counts:

Then there are the presumptuous best of albums by bands with a small repertoire. Dove: The Best of Belly is only the third album Belly released and the single song in their repertoire that even remotely qualifies as a hit, “Feed the Tree”, isn’t even on the Best of album in its original (radio hit) version.

Not an album, but the thread topic kind of reminds me of when Community did a clip-show episode where none of the clips were from previously aired episodes.

Mungo Jerry’s Greatest Hits – I think it would fit on a single-sided 45.

Long before that, the second episode of Clerks: The Animated Series was a clip show.

How about Hits Greatest Stiffs?

A weird sorta-best-of (very much in a Stiff Records kind of way). Thing is, at the time these guys were pretty much a bunch of non-entities. Now the cast list reads like key figures in the music of the time, great artists - and some non-entities.

j

That’s the one I came to post. And I agree…it is excellently delivered. Fantastic album.