Fake, fake, FAKE!

Often, I browse auction websites, specifically looking for designer handbags and jewellery. Considering that the prices are very low, I often expect things to be slightly used (especially in the case of jewellery), factory seconds, “open box” items or display pieces. Too often, however, they are fakes.

Sometimes, these fakes are called “replicas” in the item description. Sometimes, the item description does not match the description of the authentic item (listing a necklace as 18" long when the real one is 15"). Sometimes, the photographs of the item show that it is indeed different from a legitimate item. However, in all of those cases, a buyer who is not very familiar with the item may fail to notice the discrepancies.

Sometimes, they are not called “replicas.” Sometimes, the stock photo is used and the dimensions listed are those of the authentic item. This is not fair to the buyers, who are expecting an authentic item and will bid accordingly. Sometimes, they even sell the spurious items with the authentic tags or packaging. This is not fair to the designers, who produce a quality product, only to have an inferior one passed off as their work.

Recently, I won an auction for a necklace and bracelet set. It was a good deal, but not so cheap that it raised a red flag as to authenticity. It was a price appropriate for a gently-used item. Nowhere in the item description was it called a replica; in fact, it was stated that it came with the original boxes, pouches and shopping bags. A stock photo was used, and lengths of both the necklace and bracelet matched those of the real thing.

The set came in the mail today, and the necklace looks slightly different from the stock photo. The bracelet was half an inch shorter than it should be, and the necklace is two and a half inches longer than it should be. I was able to verify that they were, indeed, fake. :mad: They’re getting sent back tomorrow.

In my opinion, this is fraud, and it’s disgusting. Selling a piece with no indication that it’s fake is wrong, plain and simple. Selling jewellery and calling it “Tiffany-inspired” is also wrong; jewellery “inspired” would merely look similar, it would not have the company’s name stamped on it and come in their boxes. You’re taking away their business, you’re making their product less valuable and you’re defrauding people along the way.

The people who buy fake items knowingly are no better. Let’s not keep these people in business, ok? If you can’t afford the full price, buy it used, buy it at auction, buy showroom pieces, buy look-alikes that don’t have the company’s/designer’s names stamped on them. Why create a market for these counterfeits? :rolleyes:

I’m guessing you’ve never been to China…

If this was eBay, please do report the seller. Fraud is handled with extreme prejudice by the site owners.

This is a problem with antique toys on eBay as well (my late father was a collector and restorer).

Of all the things I would buy on the Internet, jewelry and handbags are at the bottom of the list.

But Smackie! You’d look smashing with a Fendi baguette!

Tiffany & Co is actually suing eBay:

I don’t buy anything designer from eBay unless I know the label really well, can get the item authenticated, the auction explicitly states that it’s guaranteed authentic, and the seller has excellent feedback. Sorry you got burned - hopefully you can get your money back!

Oops, forgot the link (although the bulk of the story is in the text above)

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040622-110841-3302r.htm

Not that anyone cares … but I thought (hoped?) this was going to be about boobs. Never mind me.

I actually thought that it would be about orgasms.

JERRY: What about the breathing, the panting, the moaning, the screaming?
ELAINE: Fake, fake, fake, fake.

I like to buy mobilia. These are items that were used in gas stations in the distant past. Signs, oil cans, etc. You wouldn’t believe the number of fakes that are sold on E-bay. I recently saw a gas tank globe(old pumps used to have glass globes on top of them) for a company called Oilzum. The problem is, the company never sold gas only oil. This was identified as a real “antique” and was bid up to five hundred dollars. I’ve seen the exact same thing sold for around twenty bucks.

This is why I almost never buy through eBay. Sure it may be a bit cheaper but at the store I can see what I am buying ahead of time.

The golden rule in buying through eBay or any other organization where there’s no guarantee on merchandise: don’t spend any more than you’re prepared to lose.