Fake Marine in full uniform at his High School reunion is found out by classmate & arrested With pic

Per this story This guy has more medals than… well anybody.

Guy’s a total douchebag idiot, but i’ll say again what i’ve said before:

The simple act of falsely passing oneself off as a veteran in social settings should not be a criminal offense.

I just feel kind of sad that he feels his real life is so dull that he needs to pretend to be something he’s not.

I kinda just feel sorry for him too. He should have just joined the services, but now he’ll never be able to (right? - criminal conviction means no military service doesn’t it?).

Interestingly, in picture #1, he’s an officer… can’t quite see what rank, but he has no chevrons on his sleeves, as he would as an enlisted Marine. In picture 32, he’s an E-9, Master Gunnery Sergeant.

I was wondering about this. On Halloween, I saw geeky Fry’s workers dressed in BDUs, who otherwise looked like the closest thing they’ve often to military service was playing America’s Army a few years ago. Was that breaking the law?

No, but being 39 does.

I don’t think it is.

According to 18 U.S.C. § 704, is IS a criminal violation to wear a decoration or medal when you haven’t been awarded it.

If he had showed up in civilian clothes and claimed to have been a Marine, I don’t think that’s a crime.

He showed up wearing the dress uniform and sporting rows of decorations and honors. That was the crime.

The act of passing one off as a veteran in social settings is not the crime here. The crime is claiming the Navy Cross, Purple Heart, etc.

That I have no problem with. The guy can claim he’s Special Agent Orange for all I care, but he disgraces himself and dishonors others who actually earned the medals by being pretentious enough to think he has the right to wear them.

In the first picture he was passing himself off as a Lieutenant Colonel (silver oak leaves). The second one was what you said, a Master Gunnery Sergeant. Pretty good progress in either case, yes?

More than anything else that’s what gives these phonies away. There is no way they could have attained the rank that they have in the time period that they claim to have done so. The services all have time in service/time in grade requirements. These guys upsell their “service” and make themselves immediately transparent to people who are in the military. If they’d simply claim Sergeant or Lieutenant they’d almost certainly never get caught, but the same ego that makes them invent their careers out of nothing compels them to exaggerate everything about it.

Probably true among civilians but I’m guessing Burton wouldn’t have been able to carry off an imposture as even an ordinary Marine with a genuine officer like Commander Salonga.

More than anything else the thing that jumped out to me in both of those pictures… that guy looks way to soft.

It’s the eyes and the mouth. A modern Marine in uniform sees a camera and automatically assumes a boot-camp expression: eyes dead, brows down, lower lip thrust.

Certainly that’s the most common, but there are occasionally the awkward smiles and the fuck it, I’m a general who lives in Hawaii expressions.

I stand corrected on the legal issue.

I amend my position as follows: wearing a bunch of metal on one’s chest should not be a criminal offense.

It’s not the metal, it’s what it represents.

He’s claiming honors that others have suffered and died for.

Interesting. Now, before I tell the following tale keep in mind both my friend and I are Canadian and live in Canada, so our mileage may vary, but I don’t think the law would be that different here.

Yesterday (Remembrance Day - Veterans Day to you Yanks) I met a friend of mine at a restaurant for brunch. When I saw him, he had a couple of war medals on his jacket, right below his poppy. This immediately jumped out at me, as I know he’s never been in the war (heck, he’s half Mennonite and therefore a pacifist), so I asked him about it. He proceeded to tell me how they were his father’s (obviously not the Mennonite side of his family) that he won in WWII. My friend wanted the medals after his dad passed on to remember him by, and so was wearing them on Remembrance Day in his honour.

Now, besides the difference in locale, the other difference here is that my friend wasn’t passing them off as his medals, but was freely telling me they were his dad’s (and using them as a conversation starter). However, the post made me think that if a random person saw my friend on the street, without talking to him, they might think they are his.

So, if this happened in the US, would what my friend did be considered a criminal act? (Although, I’m thinking that, since it wasn’t even on a military uniform, but on his ordinary jacket, the most he’d get was a talking to from the police officer about what the law is). Those of us that have medals from deceased serving relatives, are we doomed never to wear them in public and keep them in a container? (My link to that sentence - my middle name is named after my dad’s brother, who was killed in WWII. My dad said that since I got his brother’s name when I was born, the medals would have been passed down to me, but his mother (my grandmother) wanted to be buried with them, and she passed away three years before I was born … )

And that makes him a complete douchebag, as i’ve already said. He deserves all the scorn and ridicule that he is getting.

It still shouldn’t be a criminal offense.

Relatives’ medals - depends which side you wear them on. In some countries it is acceptable to do this (I wouldn’t, though). If I saw WW2 medals on someone who is obviously much too young, I’d assume this was what he was doing.

I’m inclined to agree, at least in this case. It’s just so damned pathetic.