Fallout 4 mods

Also short-circuits any attempt Valve might make to monetize mods for Bethesda games…

I wonder how the PC-to-console mod transfer will work. Specifically, how much (if any) work will have to be done on Bethesda’s end to make mods usable on the consoles, or if it’s just a matter of oversight for things like content and hardware requirements.

I have done exactly zero modding but my understanding is that there is a Bethesda created tool available (GECK). I imagine that when the FO4 version of GECK is available, it will somehow facilitate the cross-platform aspect and Bethesda will mainly just need to curate for content.

Oh, cool. I didn’t realize there was an official mod-creation tool already out there. That makes sense, yeah.

Pretty exciting! Obviously there won’t be texture packs or anything like that, but quality-of-life mods are a lot more important.

I wonder whether, like the Loli thing, they’re worried about being regarded as responsible for the mods. There was some controversy a few years ago about a company be held responsible for content that was related to a mod. I think it was the Hot Coffee thing. There’s no way a company can hope to regulate mods, but it’s not clear that lawmakers can understand that, but so far there hasn’t been a major crackdown. But for the consoles to use mod requires some level of official approval, and therefore liability.

I haven’t played Fallout 4 for a few days, and when I fired it up yesterday suddenly the full dialogue mod was working. I didn’t do anything new to make it happen, but there it is. So… I started over. You know, so I can start saying what my character would mostly like to say from the beginning. And this time I got my Chriz up quickly so I didn’t have to dick around changing clothes and drinking beer to win arguments.

After finally setting up my first supply line (I was borked on charisma for my build- high agility and perception, minimal charisma, low to middling on everything else), I see that the settler assigned to run the supply line gets renamed from settler to provisioner. This makes the settlement management even more maddening- why couldn’t that code be used for everybody in the settlement? Assigned to the fields, change it from settler to farmer. Assigned to guard posts, become a guard. Scavenging station, a scavenger or scrapper. I’ll have to look into modding and see if this is something I can work up easily.

If you’ve never modded before, you’ll probably want to wait for the official FO4 GECK (modding tools) to be released before diving into it.

Some other good mods:

Big difference: Fallout 4 Seasons Project, True Storms

Useful & neat: Commonwealth chemistry expanded, craftable ammo

I seem to have difficulty installing the ENB. It seems to require nixing some files in my Fallout installation which I am hesitant to do. I’d quite like to try Radioactive ENB though RADIOACTIVE ENB at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community?

I’m concerned with what they’re going to do with the actual fallout mod kit. Right now everyone is just using skyrim’s development kit to make mods, but that’s somewhat limiting. Bethesda is planning to be a central repository of mods so that PC and consoles have to go to the same place for mods, but it really concerns me that they’re going to limit moddability in some way.

What they should do is curate a few of the mods that don’t demand too much technically and allow those to consoles. If they try to enforce some sort of “all mods must be playable on consoles” nonsense they could severely wreck the modding scene.

Concerning.

I’d wager that they’ll just have a set of memory and size requirements for console eligible mods, and that they’ll either be actively curated or the community will be able to flag mods that don’t work.

The one benefit is going to be that a console mod will either work or won’t work. No worries about hardware profiles, so it will be trivial to curate them.

I can’t see them requiring all mods to be console compatible. That would be extraordinarily tone deaf of Bethesda.

Wouldn’t bet my paycheck on it though.

They’ve said that “supported” mods will be released for consoles. This would already imply that console mods will be a subcategory of mods in general. Bethesda will curate mods in general on their site, they don’t need some weirdo’s “nude kids” mod, but they do that already on Steam Workshop for Skyrim mods. From that list will be mods that work on consoles.

Forcing modders to work around the limitations of consoles would alienate the modding community. Rather I expect console mods will either be relatively simple changes or mods people made with consoles in mind because a million downloads of your creation is its own reward. Requiring console compatibility would eliminate even things like super-high resolution mods and that I doubt that’s Bethesda’s intent.

I hope they’ll still be able to export the mods for nexus and not force their dev kit to only upload to Bethesda.net. I guess if they don’t encrypt the files or change the delivery method to maintain control that should be possible. I’m just worried that they’ll sanitize or dumb down modding, or take complete control of it to monetize it.

“Now you can buy dog armor!”

The 4 seasons mod is really quite something.
Also got a mod to get rid of the lockpicking minigame; I thought it had gotten old while playing but then realized it was essentially the same since Oblivion; It was old by Fallout 3.

Anybody had some luck in swapping LUT, ENB and reshades simply when they don’t use the nexus mod manager?