Famous, respected musicians who only had 1 good album

Emitt Rhoads?

I remember before he hit big with Frampton Comes Alive, the Wherehouse was selling his first couple of albums for a penny.

Okay, I got one that isn’t really fair: Carole King - Tapestry

She’s had more hits than I can count and is deservedly one of the most respected songwriters, and singer-songwriters ever. But can you name another album that is hers?

Okay, here is another shot - Dr. Dre - The Chronic

(shudder) I’d never heard of “I’m In You” and wish I never did. Good God, is that a creepy title and cover, like Rod Stewart meets Austin Powers.

The Buzzcocks have the rest of their catalogue overshadowed by Singles Going Steady, and it’s not even a proper album. But maybe it was different if you were there.

Cheap Trick.

Cheap Trick’s first album was incredible. If you go to their concert, you will discover that most of their songs are from their first album.

Does AC/DC count?

Yeah, but most of that album is taken off Love Bites and* Another Music From A Different Kitchen*, both of which were pretty much indispensable albums, so not strictly fair.

and Dream Police? One on One?

“Wrap Around Joy”.

AISA

ETA: Eponymous, obviously.

Big Country - The Crossing

Gerry Rafferty - City to City

Boston.

Jeff Buckley - Grace

I don’t really see it. 2001 went sextuple platinum and was nominated for several Grammy Awards. It seems like you’d have to be pretty selective not to call it good.

Yeah, I was going to say that. I know Dream Police, I can name several songs on it, but couldn’t tell you anything about their first album.

Their first album sold 17 million copies, their second one 7 million. A big drop off, but still respectable. Third Stage didn’t even do too badly at 4 million. Thier output (what there is of it since Tom Sholz is quite a perfectionist) since then has sucked, but they had at least two decent albums at 24 million copies total.

*Fingerprints *won a Grammy for best instrumental pop album, so that must count for something.