Famously owned guitars with names

Oleg Bernov, bass player and vocalist with Red Elvises has an iconic Bass balalaika. Not sure of its name, but I’m sure it has one.

Well, crap. Sorry squeegee!

I’ll go there. I don’t name my guitars mostly. I’m not sure why; there’s several I’m very fond of that deserve names. My Tele Deluxe should have a girls name, she’s my sweetheart and I’ll probably never sell her, but I haven’t thought of one I’ve liked. I named my LP Special clone with P-90s “Sir HumsAlot”, because, well, P-90s. My well liked Strat and Les Paul aren’t named, but I haven’t owned them that long; we’re dating, not married yet. And the rest of my collection is mostly mutts I’d part with, so why bother? I don’t think naming a guitar is uncool.

Yeah, seriously. “#1”? “The Black Strat”? Not much better than “Hey, You!” for a name.

Now that is an awesome guitar name.

Oh, well. Mine are Little Ed, Big Ed, Tristan, Big Bill, La Mouette de neige, Ralph and Lorne. The names are on the cases so I don’t walk out of the house with the wrong one. Big Ed and Ralph are named for the guitarists whom I want to emulate on those instruments; Big Bill and Lorne are named for the guitarists who previously owned the instruments; La Mouette de neige and Little Ed are puns on the makers’ names; Tristan is called that because Purolator wounded his side. I’d actually feel stupider saying make, model and/or colour.

I always thought of it as more of a semi-hollow/semi-solid body guitar.

It was a four-by-four solidbody log that functioned just fine without the jazz guitar “wings” bolted onto either side; he added those (getting access to the Epiphone factory on Sundays to do so) so that his bandmates wouldn’t tease him and it wouldn’t distract the audience…

Oops, I forgot my Strat is named. Ruby. Because it’s, um… red. Crap.

You forgot The Fool, the 1964 SG Standard painted by Marijke Koger and Simon Postuma for Clapton when he was in Cream - Disraeli Gears was recorded using this guitar. Clapton apparently loaned it to Jackie Lomax in 1968, who sold it to Todd Rundgren who played it until he sold it to pay a tax bill in 2000 for $150,000 (it was re-sold a couple of years later for $500,000). Todd had a couple of reproductions made, one of which he used on the A Wizard/A True Star tour in 2010.

The guitar that he made his reputation on - the sunburst Les Paul used on the Bluesbreakers album that got nicked in '66 (I think) has been nicknamed The Beano Burst, since the Mayall album’s nickname is the Beano Album, after the comic Eric is reading on the cover…

I am pretty sure that Duane Allman’s favorite 'burst is nicknamed Hot’lanta

What I’ve learned from this thread is that I need to start naming my guitars.

The english Luthier Kevin Aram gives each of his guitars a unique female name. I know a few fellow classical guitar players owning an Aram - most of them refer to their guitars by the given name.

My 84’ Ibanez Roadstar Bass is named “Pearl” for obvious reasons. I have been looking at the same model but fretless, it is Blue with Red binding. What do I call that?

Capt of the Reavers

Don’t forget, you named my guitar without even trying.

No post from Meurglys yet?

Ah yes, Mary Ann the Strat. Hope you two continue to enjoy each other :wink:

Tell Gracie I said Hi. Let me take you away, girl. :wink: Seriously, you got a fine lady, you better deserve it. :cool:

nm

In my collection some have names some don’t.
I have a Yamaha bass named “Ninja” because it has a huge Ninja sticker on it.
I have a BC Rich Mockingbird I call “The Bitch”
I have an EVH Wolfgang Special which I named “Sandy” in honour of a friend and fellow VH fan who died from cancer this year.

But usually, since most of my guitars are black, I refer to them by make or model.
i.e. The Charvel, The Les Paul, etc…

I’m trying to avoid seeming like a one trick pony and giving Hammill/VdGG references for everything! And I knew someone here apart from me would know about Meurglys. But here’s the story of all three (or maybe four) of them.
And here’s the song he wrote about Meurglys III

Originally in The Song of Roland Meurglys was a sword, not an axe!

So wait, what? Are you Peter Hammill? An admirer of his? An admirer of his guitar (one of 3 or 4) ? Why should I know the name “Meurglys” connected a guitar also connected to the poster “Meurglys”? Seriously, I’m scratching my head how this is pertinent to the thread, not trying to be rude.