Famously owned guitars with names

For posters who already know what Hammill calls his guitar, I’d as soon not trigger the thought in any music thread - ‘Here’s a post by Meurglys; it’s bound to be about Hammill because he’s such a fanboy.’
So it wasn’t until Biffy specifically mentioned me that I posted. And mentioning that I took my Doper name from the name of a guitar doesn’t seem to me to be particularly off topic for a thread about guitar names.

And, if it needs clarified, I’m not Peter Hammill but I have been a fan for decades.

Seems like I need to listen to some VdGG.

Here is the latest “do you name your guitars?” Thread on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

Do you name your guitars??? - The Acoustic Guitar Forum.

Including this priceless macho-ism from one of the resident curmudgeons:

:rolleyes:

Betcha he’s not getting anything sweet out of his axe for a few days… :wink:

Be forewarned that most of it is not very guitar-centered at all. The classic period stuff is dominated by organ, saxophone/flute, and of course Hammill’s wordy and hugely dramatic vocals.

I’ll bet he couldn’t play a note is you spotted him a chord.

Nile Rodgers is on Reddit AMA:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1q8u0f/i_am_nile_rodgers_producer_guitarist_for_chic/

Turns out he calls his favorite Strat “The Hitmaker.” Can’t imagine why :wink:

The only guitar name I store in my head is Brian May’s handmade “Red Special,” also nicknamed “Fireplace” because it was partly made from an 18th-century fireplace mantel. And part of May’s signature sound is achieved because he uses a coin as a pick. Odd duck, that fellow.

Oh, the brightly painted Stratocaster George Harrison is seen pretending to play in the “I Am The Walrus” video was named “Rocky” by him. It’s said that at some time earlier Epstein decided that George and John needed matching color stratocasters and sent Mal Evans to pick up a pair. I think he ended up with a pair of light blue ones. And I read that George used a strat for “Nowhere Man.” That was probably the ax that later became Rocky.

Nice. It might’ve been used on Help, too -

http://www.fender.com/news/new-guitar-collection-george-harrison-ipad-app-features-famous-rocky-stratocaster/