Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer

Yes, definitely. Absolutely. We need more semi-nekkid Johnny Storm.

In order of most enjoyed to least enjoyed

Spider-man 2
X-men 2
[very close]

Spiderman 1
Xmen 1
[Spidey hands down]

[sizeable gap]

Fantastic Four

Hulk

Daredevil

Elektra

[Holy sizeable gap Batman!]

Xmen 3
Am I missing anything?

I can’t blame you for omitting The Punisher. That was one of the worst movies I’d seen in years.

Punisher?

Batman Begins and Superman Returns?

Then you’ll be thrilled about the upcoming sequel.

I liked the first one, but wanted to love it. I thought Doom and Sue were both miswrittenand miscast, but Ben and Johnny were damn near perfect.
The Silver Surfer is my second favorite superhero–the Thing being number one–so I hope they do him right, too.
As for the Marvel movies:

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
X-Men 2
X-Men
Hulk
Daredevil
X-Men 3

I Haven’t seen Elekta or The Punisher because I don’t like those characters.

Don’t forget the Blade movies, while you’re at it.

So you’ve seen the Ghost Rider movie already? How was it? :wink:

Thanks for the replies - and a Merry Xmas to all! :smiley:

My daughter loved it. She was 3 when she first saw it at the theater and all she wanted to be for the next month was “the invisible girl” and “fireguy”.

As for me… it was what it was: a competent comic book movie, no more and no less. However, for Sophies sake, I’m glad there is a FF sequel. :smiley:

Bah, I only speak the Nostradusian truth about how we all know that movie is going to be. So I got the fiery character names confused… so sue me.

– IG

I think the CG looks spotty in the trailer and, more troubling, the movements of the Surfer remind me of videogame cut scene animations from 5 years ago; it looks like someone animating human movement from memory instead of motion capture or at the very least better observation. Of course, Silver Surfer is an alien, so I guess you could argue that it was intentional. It just looks more faked than I think it should be.

And I can’t wrap my mind around a blonde Jessica Alba; other things, yes, but not my mind.

…dude. It’s a teaser for a movie MONTHS from release. Picking at the effects is ridiculous.

Oh, right, I forgot about that one. Yeah, it was bad. They stole Garth Ennis’ ideas, and they didn’t do it justice of a proper dialogue. Plus, they totally missed what can only be described as the “charm” of the Punisher. Ok, I might as well include the Blade series (though, it wasn’t an actual series, was it?) Ok, my revised rankings:

In order of most enjoyed to least enjoyed

Spider-man 2
X-men 2
[very close]

Spiderman 1
Xmen 1
[Spidey hands down]

[sizeable gap]

Blade 1

Blade 2

Fantastic Four

Blade 3

Hulk

Daredevil

Elektra

[Holy sizeable gap Batman!]

Xmen 3

Punisher – Yes, last.

Such hate for X-Men 3. Personally, I rate it above Daredevil and Elektra, perhaps on a par with Hulk (and Hulk goes above Blade 3). Heck, I prefer The Punisher over Elektra.

:frowning: Am I the only one who hated F4? I thought it was absolutely horrid, cheese filled and just…uck. It took all my effort to even finish the darn thing. I can’t believe they made a sequel since everyone I’ve talked to felt the same about it as I do. Of course, I think the Silver Surfer looks cool and stuff, but I’m really wary of even paying money to see this given how much I disliked the first movie. To give you an idea, I found X3 above and beyond F4 in appeal and quality.

Well, the FF were never quite as angsty and serious and “grown up” as the X-Men. Plus, the first movie had to be origin-story.

This second one can dive right in.

…huh… See the cheese factor for the first one is what made it. The FF has always been a fun romp not angsty allegory.

I was worried they were going to treat it too seriously.

If The Rise of the Silver Surfer ain’t about the Surfer turning against Galactus and being imprisoned on earth, a tragic figure who sacrifices his freedom to redeem humanity (including his own), then I will be very disappointed. This movie should really be about the cosmic imagination of Jack Kirby. The third movie, if there is one, ought to take the Fantastic Four into the Negative Zone to save the life of Susan’s unborn child.

Seriously, Johnny: Lose the tux, lose the uniform of unstable molecules, and be yourself. You’re what made the first movie worth watching.