Fantasy Setting Music

As some of you may know, I’m the DM for the Unofficial Official SDMB D&D Game. I have an idea for a scene that, depending on what path the players take, they may witness; without giving too much away, I’ll just say that it involves an anthem. Which brings me to my question:

Are there any books, movies, or other that might provide inspiration to me as I attempt to write a national anthem for a fictional fantasy country? I think Lord of the Rings had a bunch of song lyrics, but did it have any anthems?

Specifically, what I’m trying to do is write an anthem for a union of city-states of humans. The anthem should show their pride at being human, united, and strong. I tried to look for inspiration in anthems for real countries, but something like “God Bless the Queen” doesn’t really work when you have five separate kings and dozens of deities.

Any ideas? Either of examples of what I’m looking for, or of things I should make sure to hit in the anthem?

The only songs with lyrics were the songs that played during the credits like “Into the West”. They don’t play during the actual movies. . The music of LOTR consists almost ENTIRELY of “themes” that represent the different polities. And there’s a theme for the Fellowship that plays at key moments.
Rohan Theme
Gondor Theme
Shire/Hobbit Theme

Etc.

All the best anthems highlight a period of history for the nation in which they were steadfast against an overwhelming enemy, and beat the odds to overcome oppression. Instead of highlighting the best parts of the human coalition in the anthem, you should highlight the event that caused them to unite against a common foe.

I actually meant the books, not the movies. I know there were lots of songs, but I can’t remember if any of them were anthems; I think most were by the Elves. Though this is helpful, I can use one of the themes that fits thematically (heh) as a guideline to what the lyrics should fit too.

Hm… The coalition was formed after a particularly fierce Orcish assault, during which the king of the most powerful city fell. So maybe something about his heroic last stand which inspired the city-states to unite and crush the Orcs?

For it’s music that sets a mood more than an anthem.
Great “mood” music for you to consider:

-War Pigs- Black Sabbath
-Welcome Home- Coheed and Cambria
-Americana- the Offspring
-Immigrant Song- Led Zeppelin
-Iron Man- Black Sabbath
-Knights of Cydonia- Muse
-When the Lights go out- Black keys
-Seven Nation Army- White Stripes
-The Trooper/Run to the Hills- Iron Maiden

That right there is a most righteous playlist of epic badassery to take over nations with and plan wars.

Edit:
These songs are more for the battle, I see now that you wanted to focus more on a National Anthem for the country itself.
In that case, I’d suggest taking more looks at themes that inspire patriotism or feelings of pride based on previous battles (which you can then listen to these songs to think about).

You can take the main theme from “Atom Heart Mother” by Pink Floyd.

Also, the main theme of the third movement of Tchaikovsky’s Sixth Symphony.

Try this.