Far away, but we remembered.

Because of our geographical position with relation to the international timezones, New Zealand was one of the first countries to see September 11, 2002.

Here is one report on how we remembered the events of a year ago.

According to the NZ Herald , flags of both the United States and New Zealand were raised over the Auckland Harbour Bridge at around 6.30 am our time, then lowered to half-mast.

We’re a day ahead of what will be the “real” commemorations, those in the US, but today still had an unreal atmosphere, a sense of a breath held wherever I went.

Peace, health, safety and love to you all.

Thank you for that Ice.

Australia also Remembered
http://users.tpg.com.au/talie/australiaremembers.html

Thank you so much. It means more than you could possibly know.

>sniff<
:frowning:

I just attended the commemoration in our dealing room. Normally the most hectic part of the bank, it fell silent for two minutes at 14:46 CET.

We will never forget.

Yes, it takes something to silence a building full of consultants and auditors, but the minute’s silence was impeccably observed in my office today.

Someone else who’s far away, but just letting all of you in the USA know that I’m thinking of you today. I can’t quite forget the complete shock and fear and distress I felt when I was sitting glued to the TV screen this time last year, and I don’t want to imagine how much harder it must be for those of you who are in the same country, or the same city.

Take care, all of you.

-tritone

Thank you, Ice Wolf.

Native New Yorker here. I am so far away from there now, sitting by the fire on a cold, misty morning. The mountain is shrouded in clouds. All is quiet.

I miss New York.

There are good people the world over. It’s nice to be reminded of that, today especially.

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

I didn’t personally know anyone who died a year ago, but I feel so sad today. It’s very comforting to hear words of support from far-away friends. It really means a lot.

And of all ICE WOLF’s links, I think the most affecting was this.

I just checked my answering machine at home from work, and found a message from a friend in London who called to let me know she was thinking of me today—how sweet!

New York’s a little quiet and tense today, a few more police cars and officers wandering about; but it’s a lovely day out and I do not plan to watch TV tonight. And I think I will bypass the Lincoln Tunnel on my way home, Just In Case . . .

Thank you, Ice, and others the world over.
It means a great deal to Americans to know that we’re not alone in our grief.

It was Tal who provided the link, the bottom of which webpage had a further link to that very moving slideshow, Jodi. It comes from an Australian website: hardly surprising, as my cousins across the water have always been able to find just the right way to express the grief we feel here in our part of the world for the loss of so many lives, the loss of innocence, the irrevocable change to so many lives.

I’m glad this thread has been appreciated, and I thank all those who responded. The saying is trite but true: we are one world.

That was beautiful. In fact, during the weeks after the attacks, I listened to Satie’s music constantly for its dignity and its comfort.

I think the most moving moment of the 11th for me was when, at the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, they played The Star-Spangled Banner instead of God Save the Queen. That was when I broke down sobbing. (The first time, anyway.)

Thank you, all of you.

Ice Wolf, you’ve always been my favourite Doper (but 'course ya knew that); this thread just reinforces my opinion.

As most other non-Americans would know, dealing with our own Setember 11 feelings hasn’t been easy - there is a sense that we should be the ones providing support, not asking for it. Australia has always had the “Crocodile Hunter / Vegemite / G’Day” brand name, yet our cousins the New Zealanders across the water simply go on being quietly very, very cool. Wolfie, you are a credit to your nation, and our part of the world.

Your thread has helped more than you can know.

Hear, hear.

Well said, Ice Wolf.

Seconding what TLD said.

Much as we put shit on the Kiwis for the funny way they talk, they have always been the first nation to be there for us.

You’re a top lady Ice Wolf and I feel very privileged to call you my friend.

:slight_smile:
Thanks, guys.