Fast and Furious 3: Tokyo Drift

Oops, sorry about that!

The trailer looked exceedingly stupid. However, I can foresee further sequels:

The Fast and the Furious: Taiwan Turn

“What is that they’re doing?”
Turning. You have to use this wheel thing to turn the wheels, and it makes the car go in a different direction.
(video of cars making turns, appreciative faux lesbians looking on)
“WHOO!”

The Fast and the Furious: Spanish Shift

“What is that they’re doing?”
Shifting. When the cars’ engines rev high enough, they can use this thing called a transmission to change the gears so they can go faster.
(video of drivers shifting gears, appreciative faux lesbians looking on)
“WHOO!”

Other than the hot Japanese babes, as promised by the trailer, I have no desire to see this movie. I thought the first one was so moronic that I never bothered to see the second one.

From the look of the trailer, and the names in the cast list on IMDB, you aren’t going to be seeing many Japanese babes. This movie has less Japanese actors than Memoirs of a Geisha…

3 Fast 3 Furious

Unless Cole Hauser and/or Eva Mendes are in it, pass.

Oh yeah, I’ll see this.
Just as soon as I’m done watching You Got Served :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

You’re aware, I hope, that are there are some of us (not me, not really) out there who put a lot of time and money into the cars to make them fast, right? Stickers and such sell, but they sell to kids.

Saving up money for a turbo means you don’t buy stickers.

4 Fast 4 Furious: You Got Swerved.

8 Fast 8 Furious: You Got Indigestion

Two Fast, Two Furious: Twins with Anger Issues

F2M fast F2M Furious: You Got Male.

I saw TFATF and it wasn’t bad. But I hate drift racing, it just looks stupid and pointless. No desire to see this movie, even though my GF wants to and I might go just to see the cars.

I was pretty happy with the first movie when the driver of the truck they were trying to hijack stomped their asses. Then it turns out you’re supposed to be rooting for them, not hoping they all die in single-car rollovers, and it just got annoying.

I’m kinda peeved - there have just been a series of crashes involving street racers (tragically also involving those not racing) out east here, and giving the sub-100-IQ/over-100-mph crowd ideas isn’t going to help.

I am almost interested in seeing this film because of an odd geographic anomoly. I work in Downtown LA, and for three weeks, we were subjected to our streets being turned into “Tokyo” for this film. We got notifications of night time pyrotechnics and car crashes and such frequently.

The previews, though, seem to show that quite a bit of the filming was actually done in Tokyo, so…why LA?

Yes, I’m aware of the fact that there are truly performance-modded cars as portrayed in the series. sadly, the poseurmobiles vastly outnumber them, and until proved otherwise, I automatically assume a car festooned with cosmetic crap, wings, bodykits and stickers is a poseurmobile…

well, that and the fact that i’m more a fan of the “Sleeper” style myself…

Yeah don’t get me wrong…I don’t live my life “1/4 mile at a time” or anything like that, and I know this is not going to be full of any type of oscar worthy preformances, but it is miindless fun for arainy afternoon and heaven for all the ricers out there.

also i had never heard of drifting before, seems like i’d be pissing my pants if i was ever in the car with someone who wanted to try that style out, but here is a littl behind the scenes clip about it…

catch the drift?

The problem with ethnicity is that Hollywood does not, and never has, been subject to quotas. It’s all about who can do the role. That’s why Friends centered around six white people in New York City (IMO, the producers should’ve just changed the location). This is going to have an American release, so difficulty with the English language is not negotiable, and neither is the ability to handle a high-performance car. And let me ask all of you, too: Is it really possible to tell the difference between Japanese and just about any other East Asian? I’ve lived among these people my entire life, and I see no great distinction.

BTW, there’s no such thing as “drift racing”. Drift is a judged competition where speed is only one of the requirements. In other words, Tokyo Drift is going to showcase a completely nonexistent form of racing. That’s fine, of course, since it’s at heart a crime story, where racing, real or fictional, is just the medium. :slight_smile:

Nanoda - Eh? This is the second time I’ve heard this claim, and I simply never saw anything like this in the movie, except as a vague “root for the underdog” thing. All I saw was a victim deciding to wise up and no longer be a victim, a plan gone horribly wrong, and a thrilling action sequence all througout. Where or who was directing me into what/who to support?

And idiots in cars get into horrible accidents all the time completely on their own, encouraged or not. I’ve seen it with my own eyes too many times. Universal Pictures has actually done a good job warning everyone “Don’t do this! It’s a movie! These are trained professionals! DO NOT ATTEMPT!” but some people just have to be idiots. That’s just unfortunate reality.

I’ve only heard about it because I played Need for Speed: Underground.

Did you see the scene in the second film where the rice-burners get clobbered by “good old American muscle” cars (as I recall, a charger and a mustang) and only win the race by cheating. To me, that was a metaphor for modern movie-making. The flash and glitz of decals and neon and blue LEDs use to decorate poseur-cars is comparable to the CGI, explosions and nudity used to decorate teen-movies. The “muscle” of solid scriptwriting, direction and acting will always win unless you cheat.