Father-daughter dances* that aren't sappy, inappropriate, or lame.

How about Bridge of Troubled Water
Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
all your dreams are on their way

When my cousin got married, he and his mom danced to The Rainbow Connection (yes, sung by Kermit) because that was his favoritest song in the world when he was small and his dad (who died when he was 8) used to sing it to him.

Definitely not traditional wedding dance fare, but most definitely sweet and there were sniffles all over the hall.

I have to run it by Mostly Missus, but I believe I’ve come up with a strong candidate while mulling it over a bit more:

James Taylor “Shower the People.”

Again, one of the requirements is that it must work simultaneously for father/daughter, but also on my part for mother/son. We’d like to just make it one dance for both.

That is a good idea. I also like the idea of an instrumental, then you wouldn’t have to worry about too much sentimentality. But the James Taylor song isn’t too bad either.

Hope you have a great wedding!

I like the idea of picking a song that means something to the daughter and dad, no matter if it’s a ‘wedding-ish’ song or not.
My dad and I danced to (please don’t laugh) Sonny and Cher’s “I’ve Got You, Babe” because it reminded me of my dad. Specifically, of watching their show with him when I was little. We’d all sit down and watch it on Sunday evenings as a family, and something about it always reminds me of my father - it just seemed appropriate.

" I don’t want her you can have her, she’s too fat for me!" polka.

Maybe not.

We’re already fighting to get the traditional Polish Apron Dance into the reception, so one Polka is already fighting to make it.

That and “Too Fat Polka” isn’t on our DJ’s very limited list of polkas (at least ones that have “Polka” in the title).

My cousin did “I Get a Kick Out of You” with her dad. A little more perky than the traditional song, and it was definitely fun for both of them.

Susan

There’s always Serge Gainsbourg’s “Lemon Incest” . . .

I used the song I Hope You Dance , but I almost used Stand By Me

My SIL danced to Daddy’s Hands at her wedding, and I always thought Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion was a nice parent/child song.

*You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn’t speak
You were my eyes when I couldn’t see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn’t reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I’m everything I am
Because you loved me *

It’s a wedding. The father-daughter dance is *supposed * to be sappy, lame, and even inappropriate. That’s tradition. Do you really want to disappoint the relatives and guests who show up just to hear “Daddy’s Little Girl”?

I asked my dad to pick our dance song when I got married. He’s a HUGE Motown buff, and picked "Sunshine of My Life’ by Stevie Wonder. It’s not a really slow song but we were able to do a very happy, sweet dance together to a song that we both loved.

Yes, especially because I will be in the dance with my mother at the same time, and I am certainly not “Daddy’s Little Girl.”

That, and OMM has far better taste than that, too. :wink:

Not to ruin the song for you, but I gotta say:
Isn’t R. Kelly doing a remake of “Shower the People you love with Love?”

That’s what we used for our parents’ dance (neither of us wanted to dance alone :smiley: ). It was a hit - everyone said it was a lovely choice.

Aww, that’s totally sweet! :slight_smile:

And I should add that my cousin kept what song they’d dance to a total secret, so his mom had no idea. She just burst into tears when she heard it; not out of sadness, but it was such the perfect song.

Where I come from, the wedding isn’t official unless there’s a polka at the reception. You’ve got the exchange of vows, the rings, and the polka.

“Papa Don’t Preach”? :wink:

At my nephew’s wedding, His bride and her father danced to some pop song that I forget, but it meant something to them because it was a song they often listened to while travelling together.

My Nephew & his mom danced to “Sunrise, Sunset” which is sappy, etc, but it was a song at my brother and SIL’s wedding.

Brian

“You Make Me Feel So Young”