Father/Son Rock Stars

Unless you’re an Oasis or Who fan, you may not know that Zak Starkey mans the skins for a couple of big-name bands. (He kicks some serious ass,by the way).

His dad played drums for another famous group.

Are there any other fathers and sons who have had comparable success in rock ‘n’ roll?

Bob and Jakob Dylan
John and Jason Bonham (two generations of rock drummers)
Hank Williams I, Jr., and III (the latter musician blends rootsy country with punk rock)
Tom and Casey Waits (the son drums for the father)

John, Sean, and Julian Lennon – Of course the sons were nowhere up to the father’s level, but they did have careers.

Randy California and Ed Cassidy, father and stepson, were the family that played together in the group Spirit, so their success was exactly comparable.

And of course, there were the Cowsills – same thing.

Not rock, but Earl Scruggs and Randy Scruggs were very successful country musicians.

Was there a dad in The Cowsills? I only remember the mom.

Speaking of Beatles, George and Dhani Harrison.

Perhaps,for the sake of discussion, I should include the following sub-categories:

Father/Daughter
Mother/Son
Mother/Daughter

How can people forget that Ricky Nelson is the father of Matthew & Gunnar Nelson of Nelson. Now I don’t know much about Ricky Nelson but damn doesn’t Nelson Kick ass?

Bob and Ziggy Marley

Father/Son
Bob Marley/Ziggy Marley
Eddie Levert (The O’Jays)/Gerald and Sean Levert (Levert)
Dorsey Burnette (The Rock and Roll Trio)/Rocky Burnette (hit with “Tired of Toein’ the Line” in 1980)
Don Cherry (jazz trumpeter)/Eagle Eye Cherry (“Save Tonight”)
Chip Hawkes (The Tremeloes)/Chesney Hawkes (“The One and Only,” 1991)
Tito Jackson/Taryll, TJ, and Taj Jackson (3T)

Father/Daughter:
Johnny Cash/Roseanne Cash
John Raitt (Broadway singer)/Bonnie Raitt
Roebuck “Pop” Staples/Mavis, Cleotha & Yvonne Staples (The Staple Singers)
Pat Boone/Debbie Boone
Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)/Wendy & Carnie Wilson (Wilson-Philips)
Sam Cooke/Linda Womack (Womack and Womack)
Marty Wilde (pre-Beatles British rock singer)/Kim Wilde (“Kids in America” & “You Keep Me Hanging On”)

Mother/Daughter:
June Carter Cash/Carlene Carter
Cissy Houston (The Sweet Inspirations)/Whitney Houston

Mother/Son
Shirley Jones (The Partidge Family)/Shaun Cassidy

Father-Mother Combos/Children
John & Michelle Philips (The Mamas and the Papas)/Chynna Philips (Wilson-Philips)
Carole King & Gerry Goffin/Louise Goffin

Ricky Nelson was, surprisingly, a teen idol who was pretty good. He was one of the kids on Ozzie and Harriet, had a bunch of top 40s, and sang Garden Party, a marvelously sardonic take on fans. I don’t know much about Nelson. :slight_smile:

Tal Bachman is the son of Randy Bachman from Bachman Turner Overdrive. Tal had a pretty big hit back in the late 90s with She’s So High.

Jen Chapin is awsome. Daughter of Harry.

Tim -> Jeff Buckley
Woody -> Arlo Guthrie
Nat King -> Natalie Cole
Michelle -> Chynna Phillips
Brian -> Wendy and Carnie Wilson
Frank -> Ahmet, Dweezil and Diva Zappa
Marcia -> Deni Hines
Preston -> Laura Love

Alejandro Escovedo is the uncle of Sheila Escovedo, better known as Sheila E.

Oh, I’m only half serious. I’m in my late 20’s so I honestly didn’t know much about Ricky Nelson (other than that he is in the Rock and Roll hall of fame and was a teen idol of some sort). I DO know that he was a lot more famous than his sons were/are, lol.

Nelson are a one hit wonder with “Can’t Live Without Your Love and Affection”. That song was from about 1990. I recently learned from their website that they are still active and touring! You could check them out to see what they’re all about…I bet the tickets are cheap! :wink:

Fiction Plane features one Joe Sumner on guitar/vocals… his dad Gordon is better known as Sting.

And Sheila’s dad, Pete Escovedo, was Santana’s drummer for several years.

no.

Neil Finn (Split Enz, Crowded House) -> Liam Finn (of Betchadupa)
Jimmy Barnes (Cold Chisel) -> David Campbell, Mahalia Barnes, Elly May Barnes (and the rest of the Tin Lids)
Brent Eccles (NZ band, Citizen Band) -> Matt Eccles (of Betchadupa)

The Wainwright family as a whole, but if you need to categorise it:
Loudon Wainwright III -> Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright

Well Jeff and Rufus have been covered, so I got nothin. Just came in to make sure they were mentioned.

Father/Daughter:

Pete Townshend - Emma Townshend

I’ve seen The Who live (with Keith Moon to boot) but I’ve never seen the quite wonderful Emma, and I really really want to see Emma. My husband and I saw The Who the other night at the United Center in Chicago. It was the 3rd time I’ve seen The Who (the others were the Who By Numbers tour in 1976, I think, and the Quadrophenia tour in 1996, I think). I enjoyed myself, but they’re not really my generation, and my sensibilities now are such that I couldn’t help but think that I’d rather be seeing Emma at the small club Schubas, something I failed to do and still kick myself about, since I don’t know what she’s doing now, musically. I think she’s teaching as a day job.