"Fatty" jokes on TV and Movies

Thanks. Sounds like it wasn’t. To be honest I was wondering if I was making the whole thing up. I spent some time on the net looking for a reference to this aspect of the movie but couldn’t find it (of course my search skills suck). At least I know I ain’t dreaming things up.

How is that a stereotype? Eating more does cause weight gain.

Not for everyone.

No, it’s really not all that hard. No need to pull out the BMIs. It’s not nice to refer to someone as a ‘walking skeleton’. I personally don’t care about rating celebrity beauty or lack thereof, because Hollywood is a superficial business. But if I were the type to be offended by fat jokes that come out of Hollywood, I wouldn’t be so hypocritical as to call out some Hollywood starlet as a ‘walking skeleton’.

If she was joking, and she apologized for the joke, then that’s a classy move. But if she was seriously calling Knightly a ‘walking skeleton’, and then trying to shrug it off as a joke…well that isn’t very honest. And it seemed to me that it wasn’t a joke, based on her posts in this thread. So that is my opinion on that. I don’t have a beef with Laggard. But I don’t think the fact that Knightly may be at an unhealthy weight is an excuse for her to be called a ‘walking skeleton’ by someone who is willing to dish it but not take it.

ETA:

But for enough people that, generally speaking, we can just say that overeating causes weight gain, right? I mean, it goes without saying that there are exceptions to every rule. I mean, some people have actual, factual tape worms. But generally speaking…

nm.

Now we’re all caught up with Laggard’s response as opposed to what it was in response to?

Agreed that it was a “not nice” way to reference being seriously clinically underweight and Laggard apologized for any offense anyone may have taken by that word choice; probably on par with referring to Chris Christie as being a “tubbo.” Pretty damn mild and honestly not completely out of line when making the point that was beng made, that being a tubbo is acceptably insulted by worse than just being called a tubbo and fairly pervasively, but being just as significantly underweight, “a walking skeleton”, is held up and perceived by a fair number as “hot.” “Thin” as Laggard pointed out, does not equal “fit”, can be very unfit in fact, and “fat” can be “fit.”

And oh god not another time of the same trying to simplify obesity’s causes into a four word sentence! Can we cut it off at the pass, please? Yes “overeating” leads to weight gain, by definition because overeating is definable as eating more than what your body currently needs to support its activities without gaining fat tissue. No, the obese are not all gluttonous or lacking in will power more than are those who are normal BMI. A child (or adult) who is obese is not necessarily stuffing his/her face all the time.

Nicely cut off at the pass, Dseid.