Favorite camping recipes

…I want to come camping with you, butler1850

I always take a tube of biscuits, the kind with the creep nodules of butter sticking out all over. You can ball up a biscuit on the end of your hot dog/marshmellow stick and roast it while the rest of your meal is cooking.

It’s super tasty, you get a nice golden-brown layer that you peel and eat while you roast the dough ball again and again and again. Before you know it the rest of the meal is ready but you didn’t gnaw off fellow campers’ arms in the waiting.

ETA: I normally wouldn’t condone poaching but if you can find a grouse, fry that puppy up in some butter. It blows any chicken you’ve ever had out of the water.

A friend taught me a great trick with steaks - freeze them solid before you pack them into the cooler. This way, they’ll thaw slowly over the first day while keeping all the other foods nice and cool, and will thaw out just in time for dinner on the second day (or you can pull them out of the cooler to thaw out quicker if you want them on the first day).

I also like to put a spice rub on the steaks before they go into the freezer, so that they marinate as they defrost. My personal fave is a blend of finely ground coffee, cinnamon, brown sugar, chipotle powder, black pepper and salt… it really goes nicely with the smoky taste you get from campfire grilling.

Serve with baked potatoes (scrub and rinse potato, roll in salt while still damp to get a crust, wrap in foil and then nestle in the embers to bake for about an hour) and a green salad. Nom nom nom.