Favorite character names

But of course, once he was promoted to major, he was Major Major Major Major. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lankester Merrin from the Exorcist.

Natty Bumppo, the protagonist of James Fenimore Cooper’s Leatherstocking novels.

Lando Calrissian

Actually he was major alrady, they (chracters in the book) just didn’t want to change the name so they proomterd him from major to the new title of major major

Data from ST:TNG has a nice sound to it. It also feels like a natural name for an android that still leaves room for some humanity.

Excuse the misspellings, i should really try to read before I post

Slartibartfast

Pratchett’s Omnians are good. There’s Constable Visit-the-Infidel-with-Explanatory-Pamphlets of the City Watch, and the priest Mightily Oats ( Mightily-Praiseworthy-Are-Ye-Who-Exalteth-Om Oats).

Havelock Vetinari. It took me ages to see the link with the Medici.

Koos is a very common Afrikaner name here (it translates as Uncle Jake, more or less, Koos being short for Jacobus, and Oom being Afrikaans for Uncle)

I’ve always been partial to The Saint Of Killers from Preacher. Hellboy’s a good name too, as is Abe Sapien

Thursday Next
Ford Prefect
Oolon Colluphid
Montana Wildhack

Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
Augustus Fink-Nottle
Reginald “Pongo” Twistleton
Oofy Prosser
Tuppy Glossop
Catsmeat Potter-Pirbright
Barmy Fotheringay-Phipps
Harold P. “Stinker” Pinker

I was coming here to mention this and Zaphod Beeblebrox… But my favorite name from the Hitchhikers’ guide is actually Ford Prefect, owing to the brilliantly funny explanation of how he came to be known by that name.

Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski

He abides.

Seconded as to both George R.R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire and P.G. Woodhouse’s Jeeves and Wooster names. Sheer genius.

Monty Python had some great names:

Jethro Q. Walrustitty
Ken Shabby
Colin Mozart, Ratcatcher
Dinsdale Piranha
Tarquin Fintimlimbimlimbimwhimbimlin Bus Stop Ftang Ftang Olay Biscuitbarrel

Arthur Peter Brown Telescope Adrian Blackpool Rock Stoat-Gobbler John Raw Vegetable (whwhwhwhwhuh) Norman Michael (ding ding ding) (tweeet!) Edward (Honk, honk) ‘Shubiddy shubiddy shubiddy’ (low honk) Thomas ‘Oh, we’ll keep a welcome in’ (BANG!) Williams (rising whistle) ‘Raindrops keep falling on my’ (whing!) ‘Don’t sleep in the subway’ (Cuckoo cuckoo) nyeuueneuhuenhuh Smith

And why is it that the world never remembered the name of Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm, anyway?

Marlene Dietrich and her thick German accent in “Destry Rides Again” - she played “Frenchy”.
The best: She Who Must Be Obeyed, from She.

Eccentrica Gollumbits

Snidely Whiplash, Dudley Do-Right, Tennessee Tuxedo, Savoir Faire

Bullwinkle J. Moose, Rocket J. Squirrel, Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale (and Ponsonby Britt)
Rufus T Firefly, Otis B Driftwood, Prof Hugo Z Hackenbush

I keep wanting to write a story about Kamchatka Jones, his brother Warsaw Indiana and their twin cousins Jonathan and John Nathan. But I’m not much of a writer so I’m afraid the names would be the best thing about the story :stuck_out_tongue: