Favorite character names

I don’t have a great fondness for The Light Fantastic, but I love “Herrena, the Henna-Haired Harridan”. Say that five times fast. If I ever joined a Discworld message board, that’s totally the name I would use.

What’s your favorite?

Hiro Protagonist, from Neal Stephenson’s “Snow Crash”, was always one of my favorites.

Keyser Söze. Keyser Söze!!

Jonathan Strange.

A few ones I like . . .

The Walking Man, the Wrath of God in the World of Men

The Lamentation

Jason Cobalt Northstar

THAT Which Abides ( often referred to as THAT, all caps )

Marcus Jefferson Wall ( aka “The Wall” )

Oom Koos, the name of a dutch Afrikaan farmer in the book The Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee

Any Cordwainer Smith character names: Father Moontree, Captain Wow, Lady May, Dolores Oh, Sto Odin, Mother Hitton (and her Littul Kittons), Lord Jestocost, C’Mel, Go-Captain Alveraz.

R. A. Lafferty was also pretty good: Epiktistes, Willy McGilly, Ildefonsa Impala, Freddy Fixico, Aloysius Shiplap, Clem Clendenning, and Bascomb Swicegood.

Kilgore Trout from Vonnegut

Ignatius J. (Jacques) Reilly and his girlfriend Myrna Minkoff from A Confederacy of Dunces

I always liked:

Mal Reynolds

Mal is bad…in latin.

Vance van Vandervan, one of the villians in ‘Butch Patterson, Private Dick’. Others included an Asian man known as The Swede and femme fatale Debbie Hitler.

Solomon Moody Moore

The King of Skin

Ralph Spoilsport, Nick Danger, Lieutenant Bradshaw, Rocky Rococo, Susan Underhill (everyone knew her as Nancy).
And that’s only one album…

Bob Loblaw.

Captain Illium Quillian Kewely, English Passengers
Mr. J. L. B. Matekoni, The No. 1 Ladies Detective books

I have pets named after both Malachai Constant and Bellatrix Lestrange. I also, for some reason, love the name Mona Aamons.

Professor Moriarty
Enoch Root
Billy Pilgrim
Major Major Major

and, though I never finished her book,

Oedipa Maas.

Morgaine

Jessica Sorrow the Unbeliever

Vicious

Zapranoth

Captain P. Captain of the Department of Redundancy Department

Him Who Doesn’t Walk

Raghunath Rao, The Wind of the Great Country

Sower of Discord.

Loves me the bible, but this name is just so great I use it whenever I can.

If my job would let me, I’d put this on my business cards.

Spider Robinson’s “Where No Man Pursueth” character Fleming Ayniss

Donal Graeme, Bleys Ahrens, Malachi Nasuno, and Obadiah Testator all rock. They’re from Gordon R. Dickson’s The Final Encyclopedia

I love the naming conventions in George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series as well - there’s just a ton of fantastic names throughout, of all flavors - Eddard, Sansa and Arya Stark; Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime Lannister, etc etc.