Favorite "Far Side" Memories (MAD, too)

Mort Drucker drawing the alien (“Flob of Goodbath? More like Slob of Nobath!”) as a Don Martin character–that was priceless.

As soon as read the first post, I knew which one was my favourite. I just kept reading to see if it was anyone elses… and here it is!
Cracks me up!

Also the one where two guys are talking in hell, one is sipping COLD coffee, and say’s something along the lines of “man, even the coffee’s cold, they thought of everything”:smiley: :smiley:

“Excerpt from the Handbook of Old West Stuff – How to Stop a Runaway Stagecoach”

First panel: “Method A” shows step-by-step illustration of runaway stagecoach driver jumping from horse to horse, until he gets to the front and slows down the stage.

Second panel “Method B” shows stagecoach driver sitting calmly in his seat, grinning, with smoking revolver in hand, and four dead horses lying in front of stage.

Two policemen standing by the body of Big Bird.
“Looks like birdshot…big birdshot.”

Oh, can I add the various “Trouble brewing” strips? Like “Ed’s Skydiving Academy” next to “Bob’s Alligator Farm”? I probably made that example up.

Man returns home to find wife bound and gagged in the garden. Loosens the gag. She says “Aphids, Henry! Aphids are loose in the garden!”

No caption: fat man on a beach towel, being circled by a fish in a bowl with wheels. (You see the tracks in the sand.) The determined, serious expression on the fish makes the cartoon.

And the saddest FarSide ever: 2 dogs attacking the mailman in the yard. Inside the house, another dog pauses his violin practicing to look sadly out the window at the others…

I really like the “cat fud” one, too.

But probably my favorite is the condor family sitting peacefully in the living room, with another gigantic condor flying straight in at the picture window. Caption: “Well, kids, it looks like your father forgot about the plate glass window again.”

My favorite is the one with several bulls watching another bull inflate a blow-up cow doll. One of the bulls says “She’s looking good Vern”.
I still have that one squirreled away somewhere.

Ship on the ocean. Inside the porthole you see a man in front of a reel to reel recorder. From the front of the ship has been dropped a long line with a microphone at the end. Next to the microphone, we see a whale. Caption:
"Louie, Louie…wooooah wooooah… "

And seconds on the aliens “instilling a sense of awe” :slight_smile:

Ship on the ocean. Inside the porthole you see a man in front of a reel to reel recorder. From the front of the ship has been dropped a long line with a microphone at the end. Next to the microphone, we see a whale. Caption:
"Louie, Louie…wooooah wooooah… "

And seconds on the aliens “instilling a sense of awe” :slight_smile:

A similar alien one that I like is the one where the flying saucer has crashed, and one alien is screaming at the other: “One bee! ONE LOUSY BEE gets in and you just lose it!”

Actually it was more like, “Wow! That was incredible! No fur, no claws, no scales… just soft and pink.”

I know, because I saw they made a greeting card out of it.

On the inside it says, “Thinking of you.”

I second the ‘eat like kings’ and the ‘school for the gifted’ strip.

I also find the one where natives scurry to hide Tv’s and stuff as a ship approaches in the horizon, yelling ‘antropologists, antropologists!’ funny.

Another is a wild west scene, where a man is standing talking to a man he just shot - ‘what is the circumference of the earth and how deep is the … basin?’ (or something). Then someone says ‘Bart you fool, you ask your questions first THEN shoot’.

All GL’s ‘steps in evolution’ strips.

And the one where a snake is in the kid playbox, with a childlike shape in the middle. Titled ‘No, you really didn’t see this.’

[slight hijack]
The nerdy part of me kind of likes one I found by accident (I don’t know the author - but I’d love to find out…) It’s an alien that’s been ‘pulled over’ by the space police. He’s saying: ‘400.000 miles per second? That’s impossible! My speedometer must be out!’ The officer resonds: ‘Hey, pal … I’d like to give you a break, but I don’t write the laws of the universe…I just enforce them…’
It cracks me up, but it is, undisputedly, very nerdy:)
[\slight hijack]

Tikster

My fave is from the inside of the car. Woman is looking in the passenger side mirror and sees a giant eyeball. Of course, the caption is “Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.” And “Floyd’s institute of Marching Bands” being stormed by people from “The Institute for the Study of Migraines.” The caption is…“The Dam Bursts.”

I loved those, too. The two I remember are:

-The “Teacup Poodle Fanciers” meeting on the other side of some trees from a falconers club.

-A daycare center next to a Dingo farm.

Others I like:

-Santa sitting at a typewriter. The title, “Nine ways to prepare venison” is the only thing written.

-Two cows in a pasture, next to a sign saying “Chicago XXX miles.” The city’s in flames. One cow says to the other “Look like Agent 5X32 (or whatever number) completed her mission.”

-An old lady on the phone, next to a window with just one giant eye looking in…
"Hello Betty ( or whoever)? Fine,…,uh huh,…, say, could you please look out your window and describe what’s in my front yard?

-A ship, being pulled down by a diver caught by a giant squid (or octopus, don’t remember)… two men on deck, one to other…“He said one tug means ‘more rope’, and two tugs mean ‘take up the slack’, but he didn’t say nuthin 'bout one long, steady pull…”

-A man talking to his wife, coming up behind two kids intently watching TV…carrying some hideous multiple legged bug-creature…“Shhhhh…I wanna surprise the kids.”

Quoth rowzrhowevertheheckyouspellthat:

Not only that: The next Far Side collection that came out, Goodall wrote the foreword.

And has anyone else mentioned the Floating Head of Death? The mom is upstairs putting the kid to bed, and says “Now go right to sleep, Jimmy, or I’ll have to knock three times and summon the Floating Head of Death.”. Meanwhile, the dad is sitting downstairs in the easy chair, holding the string to a helium balloon out the window, with a hideous face on it.

I remember one that had a saleman at the gates of a cemetary. A ghost opens the gate and says “Sorry, we’re dead.”

Snow White is returning to the Dwarves’ cottage, and there is a python sliding out of the open window with seven lumps inside it. No caption.

and

Cavemen facing each other with clenched fists. One of them says, “Dang! Tied again. Ok, 1, 2, 3…”
Caption: Before scissors and paper.

Larson did such hilarious stuff with cave men. Like two cave men standing outside of a cave entrance looking up at a giant glacier. “Say, Thag. Wall of ice closer today?”