Favorite healthy treat?

Raw carrots.
CRUNCH!

Almonds. I eat’em by the handful. I have read that nuts make you feel full and it seems to work for me.

Hm, hummus with celery, carrot and cuke sticks, ice cold watermelon or cantelope melon, cara cara oranges, seedless grapes [portion control is my friend, dammit!] salsa in cucumber boats, fine dice cuke, celery and tomato dressed with an olive oil/lime juice and paprika dressing in a hollowed out beefsteak tomato, a whole beefsteak tomato eaten like an apple, limited amounts of homemade beef jerky [way less salty than commercial and no added sugars - I loved my dehydrator and can’t wait to replace it, I don’t like commercial jerky.]

Ken’s Lite Asian Sesame with Ginger and Soy is like crack to me. Maybe that’s what it is…Ken’s is putting crack in the salad dressing!

It doesn’t matter what I come in here to say, someone has always beaten me to it. I prefer almond butter with my apple slices but it’s near enough.

Well, if you eat 'em by the handful, that’ll happen…

That’s good, it makes me feel vindicated. I haven’t tried almond butter but it sounds amazing!

Honeydew melon. Dried pears. These flattened dried bananas from Trader Joe’s, they’re like fruit leather, not crunchy fried chips that usually pass for “dried bananas.” And popcorn - with an attempt to keep the oil down I tend to use a spray oil and a light sprinkle of garlic-chili seasoned salt.

A bowl of microwaved broccoli with just a tiny pinch of sea salt. I’m absolutely serious. It’s an acquired taste, but it’s quite nice. At least, it’s not as gross as it sounds. Also, it’s completely calorie neutral as the amount of calories the body expends digesting the broccoli is actually slightly higher than the amount of calories in the broccoli, so technically eating it is also a form of exercise.

[sub]What? Stop looking at me like that![/sub]

Fresh, plain cucumbers are delicious. Sometimes I add a little sprinkling of black pepper, but no salt or dips–that would interfere with the delicate flavor of the cuke itself. Costco has bags of “cocktail” (i.e., mini) cucumbers that are particularly nice, no slicing required.

I had a temporary boarder, a friend who was in the process of moving to another state, who regarded non-deep-fried vegetables with profound suspicion. (Texas, what can I say?) By the time he completed his move, he was snacking on cucumbers just like me.

I had to look up both of those. I’ve never eaten palak paneer but it does sound very enticing. I’ll have to remember to try it next time I’m at an Indian restaurant.

Roasted brussels sprouts with sea salt. I never had them until last year and I ear them often now.

I do that too, but I use plain yogurt. Now I feel pretty good that the raspberries are pretty much always available to me at $2-3.

Also, I like them with dark chocolate, either melted, shaved, or just eaten together in bites.

IMO if it’s healthy it isn’t a treat. It’s just something to eat. Like, I would never say, “Okay, I have finished this big project, I owe myself some carrot sticks!”

Now I actually like carrots. I will eat them as a healthy snack.

But a treat is more like a root beer float, or a Butterfingers.

Could be a lucky coincidence here. I know someone who has hemochromatosis and when I asked him recently whether the salad full of spinach I had made would kill him he laughingly told me that he is encouraged to eat extra spinach as it inhibits the body’s absorption of iron. The calcium in the paneer would enhance this effect even more making it a perfect dish, so what am I missing? Maybe advice has changed over the years and now you can gorge on your beloved dish? Hope so anyway.

These Diet Recommendations for Hemochromatosis say pretty much that:

It is. When I really get the munchies, I can eat it from the jar.

Cherry tomatoes, eaten like little pieces of candy.

Classic missing-the-point, unclear-on-the-concept response. Thanks!

You’re going to have to trust me on this… a handful of frozen grapes.

They’re like tiny little sorbet bombs, but without the effort, or added sugar, or stickiness, or bowl and spoon.

I love wasabi peas and they are loaded with fiber.