Favorite "Late Night With Conan O'Brrien" moments

I figured that much. I thought it might have been included on the Conan disc though.

There are two DVDs - one is just Triumph, and the other one is the 10th anniversary special, which is mostly “favorite” and “best of…” moments. Masturbating Bear is on that one but not as Jim Carey, he just makes a quick appearance.

The Hawaii American Idol bits are included. For some reason they’re in the special features section, not the main feature. I guess they just wanted Triumph’s “milestone” moments on the main part.

“You look like Don Ho’s daughter, Skanky Ho!”

Right. However, during Conan’s infomercial spoof, which plugged both DVDs, several Conan clips were included which were not in the 10th anniversary show, including the aforementioned Ireland clip, but were said to be on the DVD.

Right. However, during Conan’s infomercial spoof, which plugged both DVDs, several Conan clips were shown from the DVD which were not in the 10th anniversary show (including the aforementioned Ireland clip).

Actually, upon re-reading, it seems you pretty much stated what I just did. Sorry, I had originally you were referring solely to the live 10th anniversary special.

The best Conan moment, to me, has to be his successful ‘Where’s Grady?’ campaign. A casual question from Conan and an unanswered phone call became, after three weeks of searching for Whitman Mayo, one of the best introductions to a guest this side of Wayne Brady.

There was another bit where Conan went to a bunch of marketing/image types to sell himself as a teen idol/boy band member. They had him put on this see-through mesh shirt thing that had him complaining about how pale it made him look and how his hair kept sticking through all the holes in the shirt. Then they had him do all these Teen Beat style poses which just got weirder and weirder.

It ended up with him with his shirt off, holding (and licking) a kitten, and then holding the kitten up to his armpit, and licking it again.

I’ve always like his interviews with the pictures. My favorite though was during beginning phase of the Iraq war, right after Geraldo Rivera got kicked out, he was on for an interview. That, and it was really funny, is all I can remember.

I once saw a neat show opener that involved Conan introducing his own personal ‘Closed Captioning’ to dictate what he was saying, but then went horribly awry and started flat out insulting him while Conan was just chattering away like everything was fine.

The ‘If they mated’ bit where they merged a Spiderman Nerd and a Star Wars Nerd together to make…Conan.

I have always thought it was very big of Conan to make so many insults at himself, repeatedly, almost every show…while Jay Leno and David Letterman never have the guts to poke fun at themselves.

My favorite “Actual Item” showed a kiddie pool, and a translucent kid sitting in it (like he were added in later, via Photoshop, but they didn’t make his image opaque). The caption: “This is the pool that I died in!”

So. Morbid. And. Funny.

David Letterman *certainly[\i] pokes fun at himself all the time. At least, he did back when I watched, which was mostly on his old NBC show.

Dave still pokes fun at himself. In fact, him poking fun at himself was one of my favorite moments on Conan’s show.

Dave made a rare guest apeearance with Conan. Conan asked him about Dave’s old NBC office, which Conan had inherited, specifically, why did it have 2 inch thick bulletproof glass on the windows? After joking about being afraid of snipers Dave replied, very sheepishly, that the bulletproof glass was installed because he and his staff used to throw actual footballs around in his office, with resulting frequent window breakage, and the NBC suits were, quite correctly, afraid that broken window glass would fall upon innocent people on the sidewalks below.

Another favorite Conan moment of mine was when he had an animal trainer come on with a bunch of big dangerous animals right after an actress (Robin Givens, I think). Ms. Givens stuck around for the animinals, but one of them scared her but jumping at her, and she jumped over the guest chair and hid behind it. Conan thought that was a good idea and hid too.

I must preview and proofread :smack:

But then again, the OP refers to “O’Brrien” so at least I’m not alone. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, he still does, every episode.

Leno does once in a great while, though it’s usually either Kevin Eubanks making fun of him (though Leno will always get the last jibe in) or someone send in a picture or article referring to his chin.

Man, I’m cracking up just reading these posts and remembering the shows.

One of my favorite recurring sketches was Polly the NBC Peacock, who would trumpet NBC’s new season of shows with outrageous, palpable lies (often shrieking “Must See TV!!! MUST SEE TV!!!”). Conan would point out several critically-acclaimed shows on other networks, and Polly would respond with obviously staged “clips” from those shows, trying to demonstrate that they really weren’t all that good (the clip from “Roseanne” featured a guy, convulsing and curled in a fetal position, while Roseanne taunts him off-screen; then “Roseanne,” a giant doll, is thrown repeatedly across the room at him).

If the clip didn’t convince Conan, Polly would make completely bizarre allegations about the show giving you polio, diarrhea, or some other horrible fate(“Watch ‘Home Improvement’ and die!”)

If that still didn’t convince Conan, Polly’s last resort was to claim (in a sing-songy voice), “It’s in Spanish!”

I loved that character, although I don’t think NBC did.

I also loved Pimpbot 5000, the Masturbating Bear, “The Year 2000,” and the “Clutch Cargo”-style Bob Dole (“Doooooole!”). And then there was “Lakewood,” Andy’s “all gay soap opera.”

Oh lord, that was incredible! I remember Geraldo’s mustache had a switchblade knife in it. Conan asked him about being a “journassassin” (which I think Geraldo might have actually said; this was shortly after he’d proclaimed on air that he was carrying a gun and wanted to kill Osama Bin Laden himself), and Geraldo says “I’m not a journassassin anymore. I’m an assecutioner! Part assassin, part executioner!”
Conan: You’re an ass!
Geraldo: I’m an assecutioner!

End of bit. :smiley:

What made it really funny was that it was so obvious he wasn’t there. You could see his lips going “BANG,” “KURPLUNK” “BOOM” and the best, “KERSPLISHY-SPLASHY.”

And when he got his code name, that was an acronyme “ASSHOLE.”

I remember some clip showing some Max on Max sex from the waist up (hilarious).

Or when they had John Tesh on an Conan said “Here we have some concer footage of you” and they showed a clip of Lurch playing keyboard from The Addams Family.

Or the old one where they had little depressed Timmy on and Conan was trying to cheer him up-
Conan: Xmas is coming Timmy are you excited?
Timmy: My parents are Budhists.
Conan: Well, that’s pretty cool being a Budhist, huh?
Timmy: Mommy says Buddah hates me.
Conan: What’d you have for lunch today?
Timmy: All I had was an onion.
Conan: Oh, well then how about a nice ice cream sundae?
Timmy: I’m lactose intolerant.

My favorite part of that was when he said “WHIZBANG! YAHTZEE!”