Favorite lines from comic strips

I think the cartoon was named Bizarro. The caption “I always wondered why they never seem to age.” (Or something like that) The picture was two guys peeking in on the Family Circus sitting around the dinner table with Satan.

http://www.madpoet.com
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[inaccurate quote]…Just because millions of penguins do a stupid thing, that doesn’t mean it is not a stupid thing.[/inaccurate quote]

Bloom County. If you read it, you remember…

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right…

This is the oldest line from Peanuts, but it’s the context that makes it memorable, in a strip from 1973:
Charlie Brown is out on the baseball field just before sunup. He looks to the east and senses that sunrise is about to happen. But does he see the sun?
No! What “rises” is the face of Alfred E. Neuman, of Mad; over his head is his tag line, “What, Me Worry?”
So Charlie Brown groans and delivers his tag line: “Good grief!”

“If you drive an automobile, please drive carefully–because I walk in my sleep.”–Victor Borge

This is another one from Calvin and Hobbes.
Calvin has been asked to recite in front of the class, but imagines he is an alien on another planet. He begins making all these wierd sounds – just think of a typical bj0rn post – and in the last panel, one kid asks the teacher: “Miss Wormwood, don’t they have a special home for kids like that?”

Hughey’s Thanksgiving prayer in The Boondocks last week was also pretty funny.

The Coyote gnaws …
but he does not swallow.

From Bizarro:

There’s a boxing match between a man and a crab. You see the man talking with his coach:

“I can’t help it coach, he keeps moving to the side on me.”
Now that’s funny.

Favorite Far Side quote (a dog in a car yelling to a dog in a yard): “Ha ha, Biff! I get to go get tutored!”

Favorite Bloom County exchange (Opus and a Hare Krishna): “Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?” “Just cough up some dough, mac!”

But my all-time favorite cartoon is from Funky Winkerbean (of all things) – early eighties. It’s a picture of Dan Rather giving the news and explaining the government’s plan to jump-start Three-Mile Island with a '60s Ford LTD, but the government techs got the wires crossed. The last panel says “And here’s our science reporter with the latest on the orbiting LTD …” Ha!

Jodi

Fiat Justitia

From a Doonsbury strip where Duke and Honey are trying to set up an orphanage to get government $$$:

“Duct tape; there’s not a childcare problem in the world that can’t be solved with duct tape.”

From Calvin and Hobbes: “Don’t you hate it when your boogers freeze?” :slight_smile:

I really liked a couple of typos revealed in A Brief History of the Far Side. Wish I could remember them properly, but I’ll do my best. Apparently, the quotes for The Far Side got switched with that of The Family Circus. So you see one of the Family Cirus dwarves with a big smile on his face at the kitchen table, saying something like, “Awww, do we have to have grub worms again?” (having gotten the quote from a bear-related Far Side).

But I probably didn’t get that one exactly right. Speaking of Far Side bears, I really like the one with the bear doing a puppet show for her/his cubs with a human skull on each paw: “Say, do you think there are any bears in this old cave?” “I dunno, let’s find out!”

I loved it when Calvin’s dad would “answer” his questions with intentional misinformation. eg. Calvin asks how they figure out the weight limit of a bridge. Calvin’s dad :“They drive bigger and bigger trucks over it until it collapses. Then they weigh the last truck and rebuild the bridge”.