Favorite Peanut Strip

Tell us your favorite Peanuts comic strip, preferably the weekday four panel type, rather than the longer Sunday strip. Here’s mine:

Panel 1: Sally walking down an empty hallway.
Panel 2: Sally peaks into Charlie Brown’s room.
Panel 3: Sally says, “Hello, big brother, it’s seven o’clock…
Panel 4: …Time to cringe from another day.”

Hard to pick one, but my favorite was probably the payoff in the sequence where Charlie Brown kept seeing the rising sun as a baseball. This went on for a week or two, until finally the sun no longer looked like a baseball. It looked like Alfred E. Neuman.

Oh, well, if you eliminate all the ones that were Snoopy
and Woodstock, that probably cuts it down a few thousand.

The one that occurs to me right now is one where Charlie
Brown is sitting alone eating lunch, looking at the little
red-haired girl from afar.

He imagines that if he went over and asked her if she’d like
to eat lunch together, maybe she’d say yes.

Then a pause.

Then, “Maybe if I flapped my arms real hard, I could fly to
the moon.”

Linus: I think the world is much better today than it was, say, five years ago.

Charlie Brown: How can you say that? Don’t you ever read the papers? Don’t you ever listen to the radio? How can you stand there and tell me this is a better world?

Linus: I’m in it now!

The first one is one of my favorites:

Violet and Shermy are sitting on the curb, talking. Charlie Brown is walking along.

Panel One: “There goes Charlie Brown”
Panel Two: “Good Ol’ Charlie Brown”
Panel Three: “Yup. Good Ol’ Charlie Brown.”
Panel Four: “How I hate him.”

Fenris

Of course, I should have, in the OP, said a favorite, not the favorite. Fenris, if I’m not mistaken, that was the first strip.

Another one I like is the one where Charlie Brown and Linus are leaning on a brick wall talking, and Charlie Brown says something like, “Well Linus, it’s December 31st, and I’ve done it again.” Linus says, “Done what.” Charlie replies, “I blew another year.”

There’s one where, after a bizarre turn of events, Linus is yelling at Lucy “IT’S MY HEAD! I CAN’T BLOW ON MY OWN HEAD!”

I wish I had a scan of that single panel.

It is/was, I believe. And, to me, it perfectly sums up what Peanuts is/was all about.

Fenris

Charlie Brown and Linus are looking at a just-planted sapling.

Charlie Brown : It's a beautiful little tree.
                 Linus  : It certainly is.
Charlie Brown : It's a pity we won't be around to see it when it's fully grown.
                 Linus  : Why? Where are we going?

As a life-long dog owner, I can relate to the relationship between Charlie Brown and Snoopy. My two favorite Peanuts strips are on my bulletin board at home and work:

No. 1 (one panel only) (Snoopy sleeping in Charlie Brown’s lap under a tree):
CB: Then again, maybe the only real love is between a boy and his dog.
SNOOPY: I could have told you that a long time ago…Are there any more cookies left?

No. 2 (one panel only) (Snoopy and Charlie Brown in bed):
CB: Regrets…I wonder if other people have as many regrets as I do.
SNOOPY: I regret the way I acted at the Obedience School prom…sort of.

There’s this one where Lucy is chewing Linus out because the world is overpopulated and since he’s the second one in the VanPelt family, it must be his fault. Fretting about running out of space and resources, Lucy yells at Linus, “The world is too crowded!” to which Linus replies, “So why don’t you leave?”

(Having grown up with an older brother who had an only-child wish and was thus an outspoken proponent of zero population growth by around the age of eight, this one has special significance to me.)

Little Sally Brown is ranting about someone or something, and big brother Charlie says “I though you had inner peace.” Sally replies “I do have inner peace, but I still have outer obnoxiousness.”

I don’t generally think Peanuts is very funny (I know you’re not supposed to admit that, but there it is), but one I remember made me laugh out loud:

Linus’s little brother (Rerun?) had lost all his marbles (literally) to some neighborhood marble-shark kid. But Charlie Brown challenges the kid to a marble match and wins all Reruns marbles, and gives them back to him. (This is all developed through several strips.) Then Rerun asks if Charlie Brown wants stick around and play marbles and CB says something like “nah; I gotta go,” and walks off. Rerun looks after him silently and then yells “SHANE! SHANE! COME BACK, SHANE!”

:slight_smile:

I like the ones with Snoopy talking about visiting Bill Mauldin to share a root beer. I’m a big Bill Mauldin fan.

Bill Mauldin is not the actor with the big nose who did the old American Express commercials. He’s another cartoonist.
Link
Link
Older ChiDopers may remember him from the Chicago Sun-Times.
[sub]I got to link the 45th Infantry Division Museum twice in one day on SDMB:D[/sub]

I always liked the one where Linus asks Charlie Brown, “Do you ever get the feeling that life has passed you by?”

Charlie Brown replies, “No, I get the feeling the life has knocked me down and walked all over me!”

I’ve always liked the one where Charlie Brown says something like, Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, ‘Where have I gone wrong?’ Then a voice says to me, “This is going to take more than one night.”

There’s a book out there called, I think, “The Gospel According to Peanuts”. It was written by a minister who looked at religion in Peanuts cartoons. It made me think, especially in the context of the debate over B.C.'s Easter cartoon.

Both Jonnie Hart and Charles Shultz are (were) deeply religious Christians, and both put religious messages, and sometimes explicitly Christian messages in their comic strips. In spite of that similarity, I’ve never felt alienated or slapped in the face when I read Peanuts, the way I sometimes do when I read B.C. Thank you, Charles Schultz. You’ll be missed.

Since you quote a strip with Rerun, who was one of the last characters (the last?) added, this leads me to believe you may not be familiar with Schultz’s early work. The Peanuts quality dove sharply in the seventies after Snoopy and Woodstock became more prominent, distracting from the early cynicism and irreverance that made it so wonderful. If this is the case, I implore to get the check out the earlier strips. Perhaps you’ll change your opinion.

This is something that I’d subconsciously noticed but never really thought about before. The spiritual/religious/Christian subtext in Peanuts wasn’t really subtle…but it was gentle in a way that the same subtext in B.C. (and increasingly, in Wizard of Id) is not. Schultz’s subtext wasn’t obnoxious or condescending while Hart’s most definitely is.

I can watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas”, complete with Gospel reading, and still get a warm glow, but reading B.C. in our Sunday paper is a painful slog (especially when paired with Mallard Fillmore).

jayjay

This dates me I guess…

Panel one: Charlie Brown and Linus leaning on the wall…CB:“Bob Dylan is thirty years old today…”

Panel two: Linus: “That’s the most depressing thing I ever heard!”

I forget the exact panel breakdown, here’s a guesstimate:

Panel One: Linus is in a beanbag, watching TV. Lucy states, “School starts again in three days.”
Panel Two: Linus, “ARRRRRRGGGHHH”
Panel Three: Linus looking down at his torn shirt, and saying very solemnly, “Only such news could cause me to rend my garment.”