Favorite Professional Sport

In person - Hockey, then Football, then Baseball. I’d rather not watch Basketball or any of those silly “ferin” sports.

On TV - Football(pros before college), Hockey (only the St.Louis Blues and normaly only the Playoffs), Baseball Playoffs if nothing else is on(or if the Cardinals are in it). March Madness. You couldn’t pay me to watch the NBA on TV.

To play - Basketball court Hockey, Flag Football, Slow Pitch Softball, Pick up Basketball

Hockey (hey, I’m Canadian)

Baseball (for the strategy)

Football (for the violence and strategy)

Rugby (see Football)

Rally Racing (Paris to Dakar type stuff)

Boxing (unless Don King is involved)

Soccer (the World Cup is usually pretty interesting)

Track & Field (Olympics only)

Tennis, Golf, Basketball, etc… only if forced

Baseball is my favorite sport, both in person and on TV. Following a team for a season or a lifetime is like watching a favorite soap opera.

The OP asked for professional sports, but I’m going to cheat and say I like American major college football and basketball. I rationalize this to the OP by saying that the players get paid with scholarships and under the table cash. I prefer college sport football and basketball to the pros because there is more variety at the college level, both in teams that make it to the top and in styles of play.

Hockey- Only if it’s Sabres or playoffs.
Football - Bills and division games plus playoffs
Basketball - Any close game that’s in the final minute otherwise it goes on forever
College Basketball - Orangemen and March Madness
Boxing - When you’re a former Amateur boxer you don’t care whose fighting you just want to watch
Baseball - Only late innings of game 6 or 7 playoff games
Golf, Tennis, Bowling, Pool - unbareable but I must say the Pool where they do all the tricks with the balls is very interesting.
Soccer - Any important match involving a major club or national team.

Well, it’s just San Jose. I pass through it every few weeks. Plus I’ve never seen a hockey game (nor a football game). I’ve been to either one or two basketball games.

Mine too. What Montressor said about boxing is very much how I feel about sumo. Force your opponent out of the ring or make him touch the ground with part of his body other than his feet. It’s simple and pure.

Golf on TV is just about the only sports I watch. In large part, I’m sure, because I play golf myself.

But I like that the players have such long careers - you really get to know something about the different golfers.

The courses and tournaments have history as well, and are beautiful to look at.

Few activities can beat golf for individual competition. The golfer has no one to bail them out. No one to blame when things go bad. And no one else is responsible when things go great.

Moreover, tho they get endorsements like most athletes, golfers get no guaranteed salaries. What they earn in a given year depends on how well they play.

Actually, in many respects you can see a golf tournament better on TV than in person, where you can only follow one grouping at a time.

Tennis and boxing. Both rely on individual fitness and prowess, which I like. Also, I’m more a fan of amatuer boxing than professional.