Favorite snowday foods

We had what we consider to be cold weather here, so I made beans and cornbread. I like the 15 bean soup mix, with a ham flavor packet, and I made that with a couple of ham hocks and about half a pound of ham steak, diced. Ham hocks have a wonderful flavor, but there’s almost no meat on them, it’s just skin, fat, gristle, and bone. I used chicken broth as part of the cooking liquid. I might make grilled cheese sandwiches to go with the rest of the beans tomorrow.

I’m a big fan of soups, preferably with dumplings or rolls.

Most of the ones mentioned already… tomato soup and grilled cheese, chili, beef stew. Anything hot and filling really. Hamburger soup is right up there on that list.

gigi That’s how my mom still makes hot chocolate. I can even convince her to do so for me from time to time…

white hot chocolate … get any good quality white chocolate bar, heat an appropriate amount of milk gently on the stove, grate in the white chocolate while stirring to taste, maybe 4 oz to a quart or so. Put in mugs, sprinkle the top with fresh grated nutmeg.

I’ve never heard of that but it sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe?

My favourite cold weather food is stovies (a stew usually made from Sunday Roast leftovers). Really easy to make, delicious and filling too.